Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Sausage Peppers Onion

Egghead WillieEgghead Willie Posts: 185
edited 6:04PM in EggHead Forum
Looking for new ideas for an old favorite. Am doing this as a side dish this week end and looking to see how others do it.
·

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,777
    try sauteing the peppers and onions, then add some italian dressing towards the end and cook for several more minutes, comes out close to the sausage and peppers from the old stand at fenway
    ·
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC01940aa.jpg

I'll be watching this thread too. I'm pretty old school when I do them too.

DSC01946aa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·
    DSC01914aa.jpg

You can put onion quarters in the fire for extra flavor....
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

·
  • Cpt'n CookCpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    This is one of our favorites
    SausagePotatoes.jpg
    Potatoes, hot Italian Sausage, onions, Peppers and finished with Ripped up Pepperachinis (sp) and a lot of the liquid.
    We generally do it in the house but could be egged.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,149
    Do you get much from the onion in the fire?
    If so, you made a BFF and I will do it a lot.....
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    Well it's not like burning a stick or anything, but yeah, onions give a neat flavor and smell to the smoke. I think I like the small Spanish ones the best of all, cut in half skin and all into the coals.

If you do any cooking in a steel pit, onions add a subtle amount of moisture during long cooks, and they are tasty to boot.

3c46850c.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Sausage/Onions/Peppers as a side dish? I like how you roll. ;)
    It's one of my favorite combinations, whether on a hoagie roll, pizza, pasta, rice, you name it.
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Ernyins,peppas,sausages....My favorite is....toss em in a pan of simmering(cheap) beer and a lotta butta(like 30-40% melted butta) for a while,then grill,then back into the beer/butta hottub for a nice soak.A sprinkling of rub of choice in the soak and on the dish never hurt either.I really like to cook the ernyins and peppas direct for a little char and the sausages indirect.Good Luck!
    ·