Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is pizza oven fuel safe for use in the egg?

Options
Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've found this a distributor of pizza oven fuel here in the UK and am just curious if this stuff is safe for use in an egg.

I've asked the distributor how hot it burns and they said in their ceramic kiln they got it to 1300C (~2350F) with this stuff and that it burns extremely clean.

http://www.woofwoodfuel.co.uk/pizza-oven-fuel.php

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

-Rezen

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    A few years ago I came across a mention of what "cone" the Egg is fired to. I can't find the reference now, but it was very high. However, it was not cone 10, the highest. Definitely was safe above 2000F, but I don't think it was as high as the pizza oven fuel.

FWIW, the wood fired pizzeria I visit only cooks food at a very high temperature. I suspect that fuel is only good for foods one might want to cook at 900F.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Interesting. But it's a wood product that has not taken the magical transformation; carbonization. So it's raw wood in a convenient package, very clean burning, very dry, burns uniformly. A by product of the wood manufacturing industry, my guess. Sawdust from beech lumber.
    The egg burns lump charcoal. If raw wood is burned in the egg it will smoke like a house on fire unless there is enough air to fuel the fire to a Flame. A flaming fire is very difficult to control to a target dome temp.
    That's why carbonized wood, lump charcoal, is the best and should be the only fuel for the egg.
    That's my advice. Best of luck.
    BGEFirebucketandsteak0005.jpg
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Agree, agree, agree.....
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Assuming that this fuel burns more or less like wood, you will find it doesn't work very well. I burned some regular wood chunks in my small Egg once. Either the temperature was low and it produced incredible amounts of smoke and creosote (the daisy wheel was almost permanently stuck on after a very short burn), or if the temp got up to where the wood ignited, then the temp soared through the roof. If you want to burn wood in a closed cooker, you need to burn it down to coals in another vessel and then shovel the coals into the cooker.

As for "safe", you will be in control of the temps and I doubt you would want to burn this fuel at temps like it might be capable of, so I can't see it being unsafe.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    Thanks for the info all, I will give it a miss then. Until I get a pizza oven. hah ;)

Cheers,

-Rezen
  • Stoofpot
    Stoofpot Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi I'm a fellow UK egger. I agree that charcoal is best. I found it initially hard to source good quality charcoal but now buy "Restaurant" charcoal from Booker's. It comes in 12kg bags, I suppose for use in a Tandoori oven. Booker's is a cash n carry so you do need some proof of a business or charity to get membership - it's not a very thorough check though!