Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Warranty Firebox Replacement

PhotoPro
PhotoPro Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BGE replaced my cracked Large firebox for free at Egtoberfest 2004. The replacement ran well for years, then cracked, and now sports the three piece option. Of course I don't let no stinkin' details slow me down egging, but I am afraid it might grow into more pieces that I can't assemble correctly. At the time of the original replacement the policy stated that I had to bring the broken firebox to the mothership for a free replacement. Otherwise I just had to order one from my dealer and pay full price.

Has anything changed in the policy? I don'y have time to drive to Atlanta until next Eggtoberfest, but I am afraid my firebox won't survive until then. ThiS 15 year old baby IS A WORKHORSE, I live in a nice climate and she gets fired in an almost daily basis (I know, preachin' to the choir). My cardiologist took away my car keys for the next six months (v-tach survivable only with an internal defibrillator - not conducive to save driving), so I can't physically make the drive. Could I have a dealer send it in for me for replacement? Is that allowed now? I can buy the $129 box the dealer has and get mine replaced at Eggtoberfest for a spare, which I am sure to use sometime, if that's the best I can do.

Any help fellow eggers? BTW I started this new account because I couldn't remember my old credentials. Many of you may remember me as BBQBluesStringer.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I haven't owned mine as long as you, but I would be surprised if you actually had to show up in Tucker to get a replacement. That's not the policy these days.

I emailed a pic of my broken CI grid to my dealer. Within the 1 year warranty period for such items. When he got more in stock, a friend picked it up for me and brought it to the office (he lives near the dealer and I don't). No charge. You should be able to do that. Or, email the pic to Bruce Bohannon at BGE. You'll have to pay for shipping that way, but the part should be warranted.

By the way, I did not have to exchange, or even show them, the broken part (other than the pic). I still have it.

Good luck.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Contact your local or close by dealer, they should handle it for you. A simple photo and info is all we ever need from the customer. We email that to the distributor and they submit to BGE for replacement. I have never had one turned away. you may not of bought it from them (local dealer) but if they help you maybe you will buy your needs from them.

I got a lower half of an XL replaced for the dealer across towns customer cause he didn't want to deal with it.... a shame bad service.

Good luck and I don't think you will find a problem.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Heck I live in the Atlanta area and just emailed a picture of my firebox, then called. They said 'come on down'. I did and they didn't have one in stock! So they pulled one out of a demo egg on the floor, packaged it up and I was on my way.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hey, Dave. Bet that guy buys his next egg stuff from you. And tells all his friends where to - and where NOT to - buy. Good on ya!

A shame that BGE has dealers like that other one though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Your dealer should replace it under the warranty. If you want it now, he will charge you shipping, which is substantial. If you are patient and he is nice, he will offer to just have it included in his next shipment from the distributor and charge no shipping.
    Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz