Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood Recommendation

kywaterfowler
kywaterfowler Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I am getting a new large BGE soon and I want to build a table for it. What type of wood is best to use for making the table out of. I have seen quite a few made out of cedar and I like the look of cedar. Is it really just personal preference and how much sealer you put on it, or are certain woods better then others.
Mt. Washington, KY
Large Egg
iGrill2

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Welcome Aboard kywaterfowler, I;m going to guess you are in far western Ky, right?
    Cypress is maybe the best wood for a table because of its rot resistance, cedar is probably a close second.
    Many other woods are used, but those are probably the most popular.
    I would suggest using a marine grade polyurethane spar varnish for the finish rather than just a sealer. Min-Wax "Helmsman" brand is a good one and is available at most hardwares and home centers.
    Hope this helps a little :)
  • ngilbe1
    ngilbe1 Posts: 1
    Has anyone thought of using Ipe wood for their table? It is hard lumber that is used for decking.
  • I was also wondering if anyone has ever used the Trex stuff to make a table.
    Mt. Washington, KY
    Large Egg
    iGrill2
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    Ky- I read somewhere that the Trex stuff is not a good idea because it is not flame resistant. I was thinking about using it for my table but I saw that and opted to use plain old pressure treated deck board. Nothing fancy but it kept the cost way down.
  • Yep I did some research too and found the ignition temp is low. I guess once I get my BGE I will either build one out of cedar or redwood.
    Mt. Washington, KY
    Large Egg
    iGrill2
  • PhotoPro
    PhotoPro Posts: 47
    Not only is the ignition point low, but the cost id sky high. You would double your costs going with a Trex type product.