Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canada or USA

Oakville Egg
Oakville Egg Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
He's a question for you guys and gals. I live quite close the the US border(like 90%)of all Canadians. I know if I buy an egg in the states its warranty is toast. But...Here a large egg is $1099. That;s just the egg. Am I really going to need the warranty. They seem to be built to survive the bomb. Has anyone out there had to make use of their warranty. I'm still scratching my head on dropping that kind of money. Thanks in advance for the help.
Kent

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Why not go back to the store you bought it at and get warranty?
    Saying if you crossed the line to buy, cross the line if you need warranty.
    And you are sure if bought in US the warranty is no good in Canada???????
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    I didn't realize the warranty was void if you cross the line.
  • This is what I was told at the dealer here in Canada. Looking at the Egg Web Site it kinda makes sense. The Egg guys think if I'm traveling then it may be damaged during the drive. This isn't just a state line this is an international boarder.
    I guess I should call the help line direct.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    If it is damaged during the drive, the warrenty is no good anywhere.
    I have not seen many damaged in travel, except to put them down and tip them over :pinch:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    Yup. Warranty is valid in the US only. Eggs purchased and sold in Canada, get warranty in Canada. True, a Canuck might save a few bucks travelling south to buy, but IF you need a warranty fix??? Is the savings worth the risk?
    (I bought a Sony TV in Buffalo, NY once. Damn thing quit less than a year in. Warranty void in Canada. It ended up costing me more in the long run.)
  • Bear 007
    I don't see any problem with crossing the line, give BGE a call. Before I bought mine I checked over across and they were around 20% more.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    Gasoline is 35% more. Beer is damn near double!
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    I have had a large for 11 years. So far, I have only had to replace the firebox and then only once. B)
  • WindsorEgg
    WindsorEgg Posts: 13
    I bought my Large and Small in the US. I work in the US and pass the dealer twice a day. I bought both for less than the dealer here in Windsor wanted for the Large.

I've called the mothership already to get a Nomex gasket, I even filled out the warranty cards and mailed them in with my Canadian address (mailed from the US).

If the dealer in the US is good, I don't think it's an issue, just time for you to cross the border.

Aaron.
  • Bear 007
    I do like the beer over there though. :side:
  • Bear 007
    I just got my new gasket today.
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    I bought mine in Warshington State just because it was several hundred dollars cheaper. I had a small problem and the next time I was in Warshington the dealer took care of the issue. Canadian distributor and local schlepper of the Eggs (useless bugger) basically told me I had no warranty so I said "No business for you..." and will deal only with the US dealer.
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Kent:

You're right, if you buy an Egg in Cda with a Canadian address, you get a Canadian warranty. If you buy an egg in the US with a US address, you get a US warranty. Some other combination and your warranty is toast.

I've used my Cdn warranty a couple of times - so far - not enough to explain the difference between the Cdn and US prices. But, do I really want to travel back and forth between the US and Cda to fix something or pay top dollar to fix something.

For me - no! For you - ?

If I travelled back and forth between the US and Cda every day, once a week or once a month, I'd probably buy and Egg in the US.

Michael
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    I can't say what the warranty would be for you if you bought in the US, but I would not buy if you are not sure it would be covered.

My first egg was a used XL, and since I bought it the base has cracked, and the firebox and fire ring. I will never buy a used egg again. My second egg was new, and I'll buy a new XL one of these days. (Moved the XL to the cement patio, and I've been cooking with a cracked base for more than a year with no issues...)
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Oakville Egg wrote:
    He's a question for you guys and gals. I live quite close the the US border(like 90%)of all Canadians. I know if I buy an egg in the states its warranty is toast. But...Here a large egg is $1099. That;s just the egg. Am I really going to need the warranty. They seem to be built to survive the bomb. Has anyone out there had to make use of their warranty. I'm still scratching my head on dropping that kind of money. Thanks in advance for the help.
    Kent

Kent - wait until August at the NiEggarafest - you can pick up a demo egg for a much better price and the warranty will apply. That's where I got my large. And it comes with the side tables, the nest, plate setter etc.
  • Ahh. Now that's a good idea. I just may do so. There is also a large patio umbrella I need at the store I was looking at. If they give me a deal on the two i may buy now. But thanks for the heads up.
    Kent
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Too bad you didn't get one of Nick's (Lakeshore Living) patio umbrellas that he had for sale at the Hamilton Home show - they were fabulous - and really well priced. Kicking myself for not picking one up.

We purchased a really nice italian table and chairs for the patio from him a few weeks back.

Re the warranty issue - not sure I'll ever need it - but I'm glad it's Nick I purchased from cause I know he'll go to the ends of the earth to make sure it's honoured.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    ive had the large base replaced, bad spring hinge replaced, have a dome on the small that wasnt fired right and the glaze is popping off but probably will keep it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it