Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Himalayan Salt Block ?

Gandolf
Gandolf Posts: 906
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Other than the novelty of the thing, is there any reason to have one. Does it do anything for the flavor of the fish/meat? I'm thinking of getting one for a neighbor for his birthday. Thanks

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I am going to do some sweetbreads today or tomorrow on the salt block.
    I have done steaks, lamb and pork chops, hamburgers, scallops, shrimp and the eggsperience is always the some, more moisture retention and very little salt flavor imparted.

A beef steak:
    DSCN0910_00.jpg

A pork Steak:
    DSCN1086.jpg
    A fun toy!

Here are some posts from various people on the subject.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?searchword=himalayan&dtstart=0&dtrange=0&orderby=dtdesc&pagele ngth=50&returnfirst=0&option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=search
  • meat03man
    meat03man Posts: 83
    I was just wondering how exactly do you use the salt block? Do you heat it in the egg like you would a pizza stone or do you just put it in with the meat right before cooking? Also where is the best place to buy one. I was looking online and will probably continue to search online till I find one for the price I am looking. Thanks for any info.
  • Gandolf
    Thank you. Great information.
  • Richard Fl
    I use mine (8x8x2) on the small. Place a cold block after the fire gets started and let them come up to temp together. Make sure the salt is not wet or it may eggplode.
    When my small gets to 450-500F and depending what I am cooking, pork,lamb chops 450-500. Beef steaks closer to 550-600F When I put the meat on at these temps I leave a few minutes per side and then after turning just cook until meat temp reached. May turn a second time.I do not have to remove meat and drop dome temp. The salt acts like a heat difusser. Also the meat retains lots of its moisture as the juices do not drip down and flare.
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    I think that the salt block imparts a whole lot of flavor :woohoo: B)

I love my salt block
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    LC and I did this about 4 years ago after one of her competitions.

http://bubbatim.com/Himalayan_Salt_Sear.php

Not something we would do alot but makes for a neat cook at parties.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    Sweetbreads.?.!

Tell me, show me more about that.
  • Gandolf
    Thanks everyone!
  • PineTree
    PineTree Posts: 53
    Since I read about the salt block here on the forum I have wondered if pizza would be good on it?
  • Richard Fl
    Should be but you will need a large piece of salt. Not sure of max size. Mine is 8x8x2". Maybe mini pizzas?
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    According to the link that bubba Tim provided, they claim that salt blocks should not be used in an oven. They say that if you want to do something like pizza you should contact them for special instructions. FWIW...
    The Naked Whiz
  • PineTree
    Thanks RichardFL and TNW, I sent off an email just now to get more info, I also asked specifically about cooking it on the egg. I think it may have something to do with the gas in an oven, the amount of moisture in it, but yet again I am just thinking out loud, like the pizza idea. Will post info when I get it, just to clarify for everybody.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Electric ovens don't have gas/moisture. :whistle:

Let us know what you find out. Interesting stuff....
    The Naked Whiz
  • PineTree
    :woohoo: Just heard back from The Meadow today:

Message from The Meadow
    Hello Trisha,
    The best and safest way to use your salt block in the oven is to first heat it fully on your stove top. Once your block is up to temperature you can transfer it to your pre-heated oven and bake breads/pizza on it.
    To use your salt block on the grill, I would suggest first heating it with out the lid on.
    Putting your salt block in an enclosed space and heating it can cause the moisture trapped within the block or oven/grill to expand too quickly and shatter your block. It is best to heat your block in a way that allows the air to circulate around it, and any moisture to evaporate easily.

I hope this has helped, but please feel free to call or email me if you have any further questions!

Best,

Ashley Fejeran
    503 288 4633 - www.themeadow.net