Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt plateau

Clavin
Clavin Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is my first pork butt effort.

10 lbs, been on for about 16 hrs. 250 at the dome like a rock.

Its been at 181 for the last 4 hours.

I am in no hurry, but it seems like 4 hours at the same temp might be too long.

I've checked with my thermapen and it agrees with the maverick probe temp.

I plan just to wait it out and hope it hits 195 in the next three hours.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Nope, the plateau can stretch way out. I've had 8 - 10 hour plateaus. Its just getting a really good bark. But 181 is really close to the end.

Once it breaks thru, the temperature rise will be quick, maybe 5 minutes per degree.

If you need to serve sooner, run the temperature up as high as 350.
  • Clavin
    Thanks.

I put it on at 8:30 last night and when I checked it at 2:30am, it was already at 165.

I thought "great, this thing is going to be done waaay before I want it to be.

I am in no hurry, though.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The temperature rises pretty quickly until the plateau. Then it stalls, and can even go backwards.

The standard explanation is that the heat is being absorbed by collagen which is breaking down into gelatin. "Modernist Cuisine" says that it is actually the period when much of the water is being driven from the meat. Which then, would be the agent for making gelatin.

Expect a done butt pretty soon.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Crank the temperature up to 275 or more and let'er get done! Have to wrap in foil, pack with towels and rest in a cooler anyway for about 2-3 hours.
  • Clavin
    Will it hurt it if I don't want to getter dun?

Its at 185 right now, at the 17 hour mark, and I'd be happy as can be if it can hold off for another 1.5 hours.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    You are fine...let it ride. If you do get pressed for time ramp up the dome temp.
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Mine plateaud this weekend at 165 held there for at least 4 hours. It came up quick in the morning though, went from 165 at 7:00 to 195 by 9:00.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Here is a butt cook. You can see and count the hours of the plateau. You will see I kicked the pit temperature up at the end of the cook. There is a plot for the fire (pit temp), fan cycle, grate level, and the butt temperature throughout this cook.

butt1104.jpg

GG
  • Clavin
    Came off at 20 hours and 195 degrees.

Pulled easily.

The "bark" rivaled brisket in pure awesomeness, but the actual meat was just okay.