Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Container

Options
Tired Jim
Tired Jim Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is probably a dumb question but what do you guys store your lump charcoal in - assuming you don't keep it in the bag?

Comments

• Tired Jim, I use a big Rubbermaid plastic container with a lid. I can fit about 40 # of lump in it. It auto sorts itself, the big chunks are at the top and the smaller chunks sift down toward the bottom. It works for me, Peace.

• Tired Jim,I keep a couple bags in a large rubbermaid trash container on the deck. When a bag gets emtpy then I restock from storage. I leave it in the bag for ease of pouring.
    Poppasam

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Tired Jim, i picked up an old 8 gallon crock for a couple bucks. it needed a lid and had a small crack. I've found that just using the bag to be a lot less of a pain than trying to scoop it out of the crock. The crock is still used if i need to top off the egg. but if I need to put in a full load i use the bag.[p]Scott

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Tired Jim,
    i keep a pallet load in the basement on a wooden pallet in the bags and keep 2 bags in my living room to dry out a little before use. why do you want to take it out of the bag. i have some rubber made trashbarrels that i use when packing for the weekend. keeps the rain out while going down the highway in the back of a pickup. i keep a bunji attached to each so the wind doesnt blow the cover off. would work fine

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Tired Jim,
    I picked up some Kingsford Charcoal Kaddys on sale at a local grocery store last summer. I keep a different brand of charcoal in each one, sans bag.
    JCA

[ul][li]Kingsford Charcoal Kaddy[/ul]
  • Smoked Signals
    Options
    Tired Jim,
    My garage in its original bag.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    IMG_0119.jpg
    <p />Tired Jim, I just leave it in the sack in the garage, but I fill this coal bucket to transport to the back of our home. The snout on the bucket makes loading my eggs simple work and beats carrying the whole bag around. HTH
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Q-rious Tom
    Q-rious Tom Posts: 116
    Options
    Tired Jim,[p]
    I use a couple of largish Rubbermaid tubs with lids -- one for Royal Oak, one for Wicked Good. Each holds about 25 pounds. I've got an old coal shovel of the type used for feeding fireplaces and cast iron stoves that I use to shovel the lump into the egg.[p]I've got smaller tubs for the hardwood chunks & chips for the smoke flavor.[p]And the bulk of the lump is in the shed, in the original bags.[p]Tom

• kilo
    kilo Posts: 77
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Will a 25# bag of BGE charcoal slide right into this kaddy? Does the lump pour out pretty well? If so this may keep things cleanner for me. If you get a chance could you give me the dimensions of this so I can see if it would fit in my storage unit.[p]Thanks!

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    19" x 19" x 10", kilo. Lump pours out well. Different bags of charcoal have different sizes of lump so different amounts from different bags fit in them. Julie

• kilo
    kilo Posts: 77
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like a way to reduce getting the black stuff all over![p]

• Tired Jim
    Tired Jim Posts: 39
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like a winner to me and I'll be buying one.[p]Tired Jim

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    Tired Jim,
    After reading all the posts so far, I guess I am the tight-wad of the bunch. To store lump, I went to the bakery section of the local grocery store (Publix) and asked if they had any used 5 gallon buckets with lids. Sure enough, I got one for free.[p]I now store lump in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. I keep a larger supply in the garage in the original bags.[p]Banker John