Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large on wooden deck?

skyhopsing
skyhopsing Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking about adding a large to the family. My son is getting married next month. He has a wooden deck. Are there any concerns with fire safety associated with an egg on a wooden deck?

Thanks

Bob

Comments

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    put an old piece of sheet aluminum( commonly refereed to a a stolen street sign under the egg)..... and use the feet that came with the egg....rr
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Extremely safe is just put a couple of concrete pavers on the deck, and then use the feet with the egg on top of them.

B)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I was thinking about moving my egg on the deck. Most people mentioned a fire mat you can use under the egg. Neighbors house burn't to the ground using his weber on the deck. Lost everything. Still haven't got enough guts to put my egg on the deck. Could he use a nest and roll in/out of garage?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Also, if you have an older egg without a screen in the draft door, I'd upgrade to one with a screen.

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• skyhopsing
    skyhopsing Posts: 107
    thanks for your help,

I think we will keep it off the deck
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I've had my large in a table on a wood deck now for almost 10 years and I've got 2 or 3 burn marks where embers came out the bottom vent. However, now, the Eggs have the spark arrester/screen over the bottom vent, so I wouldn't think it would be an issue if you use the screen. Otherwise, I'd think about a fireproof mat if the Egg were going to be in a nest.
    The Naked Whiz
  • My large has been on a wooden deck for almost 2 hrs w/o an issues. I do use he screen door 90% of the time.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • meat03man
    meat03man Posts: 83
    Well I have been egging for a few months now, and I have mine on a wooden table, which is on a wooden deck. It is sitting on one of the big cheap pavers at walmart around 3.75 or something like that. I also use the feet on my paver and have had no problems at all, I have done low and slows all night and haven't had any problem with the screen door closed, I have also done steak and chicken at around the 600 degree mark a few times with the vent door open with no problems.
  • Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    The nest that we sell for the BGE is a great way
    to keep it up off the deck for sure. I have also had customers build a block or brick stand to have it on the wooden decks.

U cant put them on thin stone for sure and esp without the feet under it. Keeps air flow around the egg.
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    Mine is also on my deck. I have it in a table and sitting on a paver like others have suggested. I had my old smoker sitting on a fire mat for safety but because the Egg has the screen on the bottom and the charcoal isnt ever going to spill out i moved that over to my chimnea.