Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Book Review

Options
Capt Frank
Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For Father's Day my sweetie gave me a copy of the "Big Book of BBQ" published by Southern Living magazine.
5873749311_b441429ae0.jpg
P6260002 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr
I have perused it for a week now and think it would be a nice addition to anyone's collection.
It contains the usual basic stuff on what defines BBQ, how to light a fire, etc, but then goes on to describe different types of Que around the South and details many recipes for our favorite foods. There are seven recipes for ribs alone, each with its own sauce.
There is a section devoted to each state and the type of food popular there as well as a short listing of resturants in each, most of which are small, out of the way joints you would never find from the interstate
5873751379_821d8a5b90.jpg
P6260004 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr

Scattered throughout the pages are recipes for things like "Smokey Pecans", Chili Lime Butter," "Grilled Okra w/ Tomato Skewers", as well as instructions for brewing genuine southern sweet tea or how to make a watermelon daiquiri. There is a dessert section too.
It describes major competitions, and just contains a lot of information of interest to folks like us.
5873752587_d6b3018f56.jpg
P6260005 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr
It is not perfect, for instance it reccomends briquettes over lump because "they last longer" and other minor points that we will not agree with. There is no mention of a BGE anywhere that I have run across, but promoting any given product is not the aim of the book anyway.
I have no commercial interest in Southern Living Magazine or this book, I just am enjoying reading it and will no doubt use many of the recipes and try to visit some of the Que joints in our travels. I thought you might also
Thanks for looking and have a great upcoming week :cheer:

I nearly forgot, it retails for 24.95 and is available on line through the magazine :)

Comments

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    This book looks like so much fun to peruse for cooking ideas and different flavors of the various regions of BBQ. I looked it up on Amazon and found it for $16.47. I just ordered it. Thanks for the idea!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Frank,

I'm betting that anyone who says that briquets last longer than lump, is simply treating the lump like briquets. :S I mean they get 100% of the lump burning and then hope they will turn gray and then cook. :lol:
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    No doubt, I was just pointing out that there are things in the book that are either just plain inaccurate or that go againt the BGE way of doing things. Overall, it is an interesting and entertaining book :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Thanks for the review Frank.I don't have that one. What resaurants are they highlighting for Colorado?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    In what part of the South is Colorado! :laugh:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Oh yea, you did day that.... :whistle: :P
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I have "almost" picked it up several times. Thanks for the reassurance, I'll get it next time.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    "There is a section devoted to each state and the type of food popular there as well as a short listing of resturants in each, most of which are small, out of the way joints you would never find from the interstate"

Heck, I thought the same thing! :sick: :ohmy:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Thanks Capt Frank for the review.

My wife, aka: "Mary, where's the Kitchen" :laugh: :whistle:
    sold S.L., but that was before the BGE came into
    our lives . . .If I only knew. :laugh:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    Just kidding of course Molly, but I think the magazine has pretty definite parameters for their material, they do cover Texas in the book and in other articles also :) Lots of stuff on brisket :cheer: