Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Any Ideas?

Lawn RangerLawn Ranger Posts: 5,466
edited 5:53AM in EggHead Forum
...about these guys? Just put on a small butt to cook via the quick method, and noticed these emerging from a potted fern on the patio. Something about their shape just makes me happy. :whistle: Good crop of chilis, too.

Good Sunday, All.

Mike

mushrooms001.jpg

mushrooms002.jpg

mushrooms007.jpg

mushrooms009.jpg

mushrooms012.jpg

mushrooms010.jpg
·

Comments

• BajaTomBajaTom Posts: 1,269
    What is the fast method for butts?
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Alot of folks are going 350-375deg in order to speed up the process. Little if any difference is detectable most times, expecially if you cook at 250 for the first 60-90min with wood chunks then bump it up.

Pls excuse the hijack LR. The shrooms look cool. The one close up shot looks like you cool pull up a chair and enjoy the shade.
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,333
    I feel like I need to be ocean side with a fruity drink in hand watching the waves roll in and girls stroll by..............might just take the day off now.......t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·
  • Lawn RangerLawn Ranger Posts: 5,466
    A couple of hours indirect at 200-250 with very heavy smoke (I used apple and pecan today). Then double wrap in hd foil and back on indirect, but at 300-350 or higher. I can't tell the difference, but it sure cuts several hours off the process.

I know it's blasphemy, but a couple of weeks ago I ran out of time doing one for work. After about 5 total hours of smoke/wrap time, I dumped everything in the crock pot and went to bed. Folks at work went nuts.
    ·
    No apologies necessary. I just told Baja basically the same thing.

LR
    ·
    I think you've earned it.
    ·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Sure do love the shape of them babys. I see finger prints all over that one. :laugh:

Have a great Sunday. Tim
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

This one is an 8# boston butt 400° start to finish, indirect about 6.5 hours.

I used a foil tent at towards the end of the cook to prevent the bark from overdeveloping. As to if or when to tent is a judgment call.

egghfham1.jpg

egghfham2.jpg

egghfham4.jpg

GG
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,472
    Why do I want to call you Papa Smurf :whistle:
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Wow! I love the shape of them! Reminds me of... :blush: :whistle:
    ·
    Shhhhhhh! :silly:
    ·
    Yeah, me too!
    ·
    Just pulled mine. 5.23 pounds at about 325....5 hours to 200. Smells fantastic!
    ·
  • 'Q Bruddah'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    For what its worth I googled edible mushrooms and clicked "images" and found nothing that looked similar. Then I googled poisonous mushrooms and immediately found one that looked like these and the description fits your habitat.
    When in doubt--don't.

Steve
    ·
  • Mushroom misidentification can be very very dangerous...
    ·
    Thanks, Steve. I wouldn't eat, but think I'll remove them.
    ·
  • BigjohnBigjohn Posts: 144
    Interesting peppers. What kind are they?
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,884
    I've always been told that when you don't know the specie the more pure white were always the most probable to be poisonous.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,333
    did a long lunch, under the hood this afternoon. having ac in the shop is making a world of difference this summer.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·
    Chili Pequin. Love them.
    ·
    AC not withstanding.....I'll gladly pass the torch. Don't miss it at all. But, you are just a pup....and a strong one, at that.

Knock 'em dead, My Friend.

LR
    ·