Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Any Ideas?

Lawn RangerLawn Ranger Posts: 5,466
edited 1:05AM in EggHead Forum
...about these guys? Just put on a small butt to cook via the quick method, and noticed these emerging from a potted fern on the patio. Something about their shape just makes me happy. :whistle: Good crop of chilis, too.

Good Sunday, All.

• BajaTomBajaTom Posts: 1,269
    What is the fast method for butts?
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Alot of folks are going 350-375deg in order to speed up the process. Little if any difference is detectable most times, expecially if you cook at 250 for the first 60-90min with wood chunks then bump it up.

Pls excuse the hijack LR. The shrooms look cool. The one close up shot looks like you cool pull up a chair and enjoy the shade.
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,404
    I feel like I need to be ocean side with a fruity drink in hand watching the waves roll in and girls stroll by..............might just take the day off now.......t ACGP, Inc.
  • Lawn RangerLawn Ranger Posts: 5,466
    A couple of hours indirect at 200-250 with very heavy smoke (I used apple and pecan today). Then double wrap in hd foil and back on indirect, but at 300-350 or higher. I can't tell the difference, but it sure cuts several hours off the process.

I know it's blasphemy, but a couple of weeks ago I ran out of time doing one for work. After about 5 total hours of smoke/wrap time, I dumped everything in the crock pot and went to bed. Folks at work went nuts.
    No apologies necessary. I just told Baja basically the same thing.

I think you've earned it.
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Sure do love the shape of them babys. I see finger prints all over that one. :laugh:

Have a great Sunday. Tim
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    This one is an 8# boston butt 400° start to finish, indirect about 6.5 hours.

I used a foil tent at towards the end of the cook to prevent the bark from overdeveloping. As to if or when to tent is a judgment call.

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,657
    Why do I want to call you Papa Smurf :whistle:
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Wow! I love the shape of them! Reminds me of... :blush: :whistle:
    Shhhhhhh! :silly:
    Yeah, me too!
    Just pulled mine. 5.23 pounds at about 325....5 hours to 200. Smells fantastic!
  • 'Q Bruddah'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    For what its worth I googled edible mushrooms and clicked "images" and found nothing that looked similar. Then I googled poisonous mushrooms and immediately found one that looked like these and the description fits your habitat.
    When in doubt--don't.

• Mushroom misidentification can be very very dangerous...
    Thanks, Steve. I wouldn't eat, but think I'll remove them.
  • BigjohnBigjohn Posts: 144
    Interesting peppers. What kind are they?
  • RRPRRP Posts: 16,788
    I've always been told that when you don't know the specie the more pure white were always the most probable to be poisonous.
    Dunlap, IL
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,404
    did a long lunch, under the hood this afternoon. having ac in the shop is making a world of difference this summer. ACGP, Inc.
    Chili Pequin. Love them.
    AC not withstanding.....I'll gladly pass the torch. Don't miss it at all. But, you are just a pup....and a strong one, at that.

Knock 'em dead, My Friend.