Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1 a.m. help

Eggercat
Eggercat Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning all.

I am one hour into a 11 lb brisket cook and I'm struggling to keep the temp below 295 dome.
The bottom vent is open less than 3/16" and the daisy wheel is about a half turn open.
I'm afraid to go anything less for fear of it going out on me.
I'm hoping to have it stable around 230 by 2 am, so I can catch a few hrs sleep.
(I don't have a stoker, so I'm doing it the old fashion way...alarm clock)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rick

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Rick, how longs has it been at 295? 230 may be hard to maintain manually, generally it stabilises at 250 with lower vent opened the thickness of a credit card, the slider on the DFMT should be shut and the petals about 25% open at the most. I'm in TO, want me to courier you my stoker? :P
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Eggercat
    I'm in TO, want me to courier you my stoker?
    Hehe
    No, thats ok. It must be that clean air we have here in the Hammer, it's burning just a bit hotter! (no smart a** comments)
    I'm heading out again now, I'll check to see if it came down any. 2 minutes to 2 a.m.
  • RNLV
    RNLV Posts: 42
    Did you start and settle in the BGE about an hour before you put your meat on. This is,I find,an important
    step. So it's almost two hours before I put the meat on.
    250* is the easy to hold. Keep the doome closed or you
    chase it the entire cook. Once settled in not to worry.
    I have had it go almost four hours without adjusting. Forgot to wake up. Your settings are close. Happy Egging.

Ron
  • I agree with Canugghead, 250 is about all you can do manually. Get some rest, check it later, you'll be ok.
  • Eggercat
    Thanks everyone.
    Yes RNLV, it was over an hour before I put the meat on.
    I added 4 or 5 big chucks of apple just before that, so that may have accounted for the extra heat.
    I'm now sitting about 260. That sounds like a safe sleeping temp.
    BTW
    Never use a real credit card to gap your vent. :whistle:
  • Eggercat
    Brisket update:

4:45 a.m
    Dome temp slightly below 200. Fire on it's last leg.
    I cleared the grate holes, added a bit of air flow via a small personal fan and got the fire going again.
    By 5 a.m. temp was back up to 250.

7:30 a.m (7 hrs into cook)
    Dome temp holding steady at 250, bricket temp is 163 point, 170 in the flat.

Now we wait...
  • dsmith
    dsmith Posts: 147
    I've had the same thing happen to me on an all night butt smoke. Still, it turned out great even though it was an effort to get my temp/fire back stoked up as my dome temp had dropped to about 150F. I am VERY close to buying a Stoker or Guru for just that reason.
  • Eggercat
    Well, it is now been 9 1/2 hrs.
    Picture019.jpg
    I just pulled the point off at 195
    Picture020.jpg

The flat is still around 185 so I'm going to give it another hour or so.
  • Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    I agree, keep the lid shut until meat hits temp. If your lookin', your not cookin'
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Looks like you nailed it. Nice work.

T