Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My egg setup

Options
doubleapex
doubleapex Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tomorrow morning, the fun begins with a pork butt...

image.jpg

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    nice but i recommend putting a paving stone under the three feet to protect the shelf and avoid a disastrous mishap. the heat from the egg's bottom can char the wood and start a fire.
    canuckland
  • Le Oeuf Vert
    Le Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    Options
    Best of luck. Your Eggin area looks great. Now make sure to show us some pictures when the butt is done.
  • doubleapex
    Options
    aren't the feet supposed to keep air flowing underneath so as to avoid charring the wood? Why would they sell the table and egg this way if it was unsafe?
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    Options
    Nice, the hazey exposure makes it look like a dream :laugh:
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    You absolutely need the paver.
  • doubleapex
    Options
    just a little overexposed haha. but you're right...it is a dream!
  • doubleapex
    Options
    do you think i'm ok to do one cook w/o a paver...not sure if I can get one by tomorrow morning--working all day today.
  • Motherhubbard1
    Options
    Great looking back yard and deck. With the final touch of the egg. Dreams do come true!
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I would get a little more space between the egg and the table - some scrap wood or a brick under each green foot
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    You will be fine for a couple of cooks, but don't let it go to long, you definetly need a paver B)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Congrats on your new egg. Now put a concrete paver under the egg and place the green feet one under the hinge and split the other two and you will be safer. ;)

Your going to love your new egg and this forum. Keep coming back. Tim :)
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    ya need a bottle cap opener at one of the corners to finish that fine set up. LOL

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • doubleapex
    Options
    tjv wrote:
    ya need a bottle cap opener at one of the corners to finish that fine set up. LOL

t
    already on order!!! ...no joke. :)
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Options
    Nice setup and view. Hope you have many relaxing days Egging!! B)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Very nice! I'm sure you will enjoy it!

As others have said though, don't ignore the paver advice. Also, always leave the safety screen closed. Lit coals can easily fly out of an unscreened vent. You should consider a fireproof mat as well. Not trying to be an alarmist, but... Wood table, wood deck, attached to house perhaps?

Pics from a couple of forum members - food for thought...

101_2119.jpg

The above was WITH a paver. And feet.

Another... I think this one was without paver or feet, not sure. Point is, it gets HOT down there!!

2005_0104Image0008.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    Frank from Houma wrote:
    You absolutely need the paver.

Yep. Don't go too long without it.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Q,

that bottom pic has the outlines of the 3 feet burnt into the shelf.

Pretty sure it's Fishlessmans old one
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    yeah, it's fish's, but I can't remember the specifics. took some searching just to find the pics, but I thought a visual or two might be more convincing. the one that was just scorched is pat's.

Not an issue to be ignored.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut