Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Hot Does IT Get?

Anthony Up North
Anthony Up North Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You all know what IT is... The BGE, naturally!! I was thinking as I sipped my cool brew (St. Pauli Girl) and watchrf the fire of Hades (as Char-Woody called it) waiting for it to get hot enough to sear my steaks. How high would this thing get if one let it gooooo... What is the hotest any of you got the BGE, either intentionally or otherwise? Not that it matters, but just wondering????[p]Anthony Up North

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Anthony Up North,
    Yeah, kinda hard to tell once it gets that high. You can lap the thermometer around pretty good. The flames are lickin the thermo probe, but I 'spect 1200 degrees maybe with a full load of lump.[p]Hot as you need, that's for sure. Wonder if any tests have been run.[p]This Wild Goose Spring Wheat Ale is tastin' good rot now!
    Tryin to get work done, but I keep a gittin sidetracked!! Yeee![p]Happy Turbo Temps
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Nature Boy, sometime back KennyG used his ultra high tech scientific wonder works thermometer which is very nearly + or - 1/2 degree accurate, and says when the needle has hit 7 g's in spin,,or 1200 degrees..or so, its actually about 1000F in the dome...! I fiercely defend the "egg's" constitutional right to remain under 800F for any cook. :-([p]I almost think that to sear a steak at those temps, one should get a old oil barrel, rig a briquett screen/grate at the top..toss in 2 bags of briquetts, or a load of mesquite, and let em get roaring white..put a grill right on the top of the coals and sear away..! Shucks.. I might even try that sometime.
    :-)
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Nature Boy,
    What's "Wild Goose Spring Wheat Ale"? Sooounds goooood-enough to drink?[p]Anthony Up North

• Char-Woody,[p]At those temps you might mistake the steak for a briquette... [p]Anthony Up North[p]

• Nature Boy
    STEAKS
    <p />Anthony UP North,[p]Wild Goose is brewed in Maryland (now by Frederick Brewing Co), and the Spring Wheat Ale is a crisp clean refreshing wheat ale brewed with Saaz and Hallertuer hops. Hoppier than most wheat beers, but nice.[p]BTW, CW is tight about you not really needing those super extreme temps. 750 will give you as much sear as you need. Even at 750 you have to be on your toes![p]These were seared at 700.[p]Sidetracked again! Back to work.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Char-Woody
    Anthony Up North, If ya get the steak fresh enuff, it flips on its own..:-) Catch it right after the second flip. Dang near like a fresh caught bull head, quick cleaned and in the hot grease..
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Char-Woody,
    "fresh caught bull head, quick cleaned and in the hot grease"...[p]Now there is a great late night snack.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Okay. I am with ya now. Bullhaid Catfeesh!![p]Man I had some wild images of a bull's head in grease. I been workin to hard. g'night.
  • Char-Woody
    Nature Boy, with beer batter,...amen...and with that..good night..dawn comes too early now.
    Cheerio.
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy,[p]Those are yummy lookin steaks. WOW![p]Have I got this right... Being sidetracked from the "Wild Goose Brew." That too sounds like my kind of diversion... I once knew a maverick from Pittsburgh... liked "Iron City" so much, that when he couldn't get it, he had it sent whereever he was. Now there was a loyal beer lover.[p]I like it straight, heavy and cold... like a good German brew. American beers all seem light after that! What do you think?[p]Anthony Up North

• Char-Woody,
    Do you like that bullhead with or without "Kosher" salt?
    And if so.... how much (salt I mean)?[p]Anthony Up North

• Char-Woody
    Anthony Up North, I gotta quit hitting that enter key...:-(
    Never tried it with Kosher Salt. Ya gave me a good idea.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    thermo.jpg
    <p />Char-Woody,[p]The highest reading I ever got was 1367* using a full load of mesquite lump with the Egg in "unregistered nuclear weapon mode". The BGE thermometer was up around 500* the second time around and needed to be recalibrated after that burn. Now, if I can just figure out why my firebox is cracking.[p]K~G

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    KennyG,[p]Hey Rube Goldberg is back again. OK< What is that digital probe thing and I guess that is its probe in the glass? Commerical type or what? And what is heating that liquid in that glass? I assume you put boiling water in there.[p]I also had to vitit the calibration shop after an unexpected trip up to 1200+ deg once. Got my immediate attention when I opened the dome at what I thought was 300 deg. Whewww, wish I was doing steaks that night.[p]Tim
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Nature Boy,
    I keep tellin' you that pic ought to be framed. What an eatable work of art.

• Nature Boy
    Anthony Up North,
    I think you need to try more American microbrews. Nearly every style of beer/ale is available, and often fresher than the imports. And they don't usually put them in clear or green bottles (which let light thru to skunkify a beer in a heartbeat).[p]Not sure which microbrews you have available, but Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Saranac, Petes are some of the more widely available brews...and are all consistently good.[p]Slightly off topic, but you need good beer with Q.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nature Boy,[p]Cant say that I've ever had a BAD beer with Q. I've had some that I liked better than others but none I would qualify as BAD. hehehe[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy,[p]I agree - a cold brew while grilln is the top of life.[p]Thanks for the info on the different "adult" beverages. I will give them a try - [p]Anthony Up North

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Tim M,[p]Check your email. I have this bad habit of buying toys on impulse.[p]K~G

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Anthony Up North,[p]I see that you've gotten your answer. The URL I'm about to mention was posted here a year or so ago, but those of you who don't know about George Gobel should check it out!![p]http://ghg.ecn.purdue.edu/[p]JCA
  • Hophead
    Hophead Posts: 1
    Nature Boy, This is my first visit to the user's forum because yesterday, on my third use of the BGE, I too was sipping a micro-brewed beer and wondering how high the temp would get. Mine only went to 600 degrees, (WHY???) so I put the steaks on anyway and, guess what? My steaks looked exactly like the one's in your picture. I like mine medium well, and it was the juciest I had ever tasted.[p]It's even better knowing there are folks out there who like good beers. BTW, a good friend of mine became the brewmaster at Frederick Brewing just last week.[p]Has anyone tried to brew beer on the BGE yet??[p]Hophead

• Char-Woody
    Hophead, welcome to the forum and keep in touch with your pal, the "brewmiester"..There are a number of "tasters" here that home can the stuff. :-)
    And the heat temps are more a condition of your coals in size and portions, as well as a good stir to drop ashes out of your coals after a long burn. Especially if your using the original ceramic grates. They too are fine, but its more critical to have larger lumps for the cook.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Hophead,
    How much lump did you have in your firebox?? Could be a lot of reasons you only got to 600. Can you describe what you did? 600 will do for most things, but it should get hotter.[p]I'll email you about Frederick Brewing. [p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com