Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Dern thighs I love em grilled my way

2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
edited 3:59PM in EggHead Forum
Here is our supper tonight. Chicken thighs brined in 2 quarts of water and 3 table spoons each of kosher salt and dark brown sugar and tasty licks mellow yella. All melted and cooled and soaked a few hours in the fridge.

I pulled them out of the brine and sprinkled some sweet rub on them while they were still dripping wet I put them on the AR up high on the grid extender at 400F direct. They surprised me they usually go 1 to 1.25 hours but, these went 45 min's and 200F internal.

They look a little dark because of all the sugar. The skin was crrrrispy and the dark meat was finger lickin good. :P

018.jpg

019.jpg
·

Comments

• EggsakleyEggsakley Posts: 1,014
    They do indeed look delicious. Will attempt tomorrow. :)
    ·
  • FluffybFluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Those look GOOD! Love brined chicken thighs.
    ·
  • ranger rayranger ray Posts: 812
    thighs are my favorite!....... they look great what kind of wood did you use for flavor?...... thanks! ray
    ·
  • Jupiter JimJupiter Jim Posts: 1,625
    Tim looks great and KayNOcook says she would eat them in a heartbeat.
    JJ
    I'm only hungry when I'm awake!
    ·
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,418
    Awesome thighs! Favorite part of the chicken. Yeah, those look finger lickin good!
    I don't know the rules but these could win in a BBQ competition by looks alone. :cheer:
    ·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Thank you Bruce. :)

I'm sure your cook will be as good as mine. ;)
    ·
  • Zogman100Zogman100 Posts: 69
    Nice looking thighs, and I don't say that to just anybody! B)
    ·
    Thanks Teresa this was the first time I brined thighs. I'll have to brine them more often. I have brined a lot of other things and I gotta say thighs do great as well. ;)
    ·
    Thanks Ray. I must admit I used a mixture of WGWW and RO in the red bag and nothing else. I will admit I have in the past used hickory and like it real good. :) Tim
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,342
    Never have brined chicken longer than 1 hour. After those look-good-enough-to-eat- pictures I will brine longer. Thanks
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
    Thanks Jim and blessings to KayNOcook she has good taste. :woohoo: I would cook for the both of you any time my friend. Tim :)
    ·
    Thanks Clay. I feel the same way about the thighs. Kind of you to say and I don't mean to sound proud but, those same thoughts went across my mind. Tim :)
    ·
    Thank you Zogman100 they were very good and I will have some leftovers for the toaster oven when I get ready to eat some more. Tim :P
    ·
    Thanks Joan. I feel I made a low sodium brine and I hope to think it added flavor and moisture. I know in the past I have cooked them after I had them frozen and I know brining will help them. Hope you are doing alright this weekend over there in Gods country. ;) Tim
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Great looking food Tim. Sure wish I was there!!!

Kent
    ·
  • elzbthelzbth Posts: 2,075
    Mellow yella - as in the soda? They look fantastic! :)
    ·
    Thanks Kent they were very good I have some left overs come on over anytime. ;)
    ·
    Hey Elizabeth, Thanks. :) No not the cola. It's a rub you get from smoking guitar player. http://tastylicksbbq.com/
    MELLA
    YELLA
    SWEET
    RUB
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,421
    NOw that is good looking and the dark is just fine...
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • ron4fishron4fish Posts: 144
    Those look real good. B)
    ·
  • YardawgYardawg Posts: 16
    Tim your chicken really looks good.
    ·
    Thanks Mickey :)

Got to love thighs. :P
    ·
    Thanks Ron :)
    ·
    Hey Sandy, Thanks. Good talking to you yesterday. How did your country ribs turn out? I'm sure they were a hit. ;)
    ·
  • YardawgYardawg Posts: 16
    Tim, the country ribs turned out great. They are the only ribs my wife will eat.
    I am up to 185 on two butts now. The egg had a little rest after cooking romaine at 350. I shut it down til it got to 200 and replaced old lump with new. I put two 9 pound butts on at 10 PM.
    ·
    Well you going to eat good again today. :P
    ·