Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mahi Mahi with a "mirin-q" glaze

NibbleMeThis
NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I grilled some thick mahi mahi fillets on my Egg tonight for my wife and youngest son. I don't like fish but they love it, so I cook it for them during the summer.

Seasoned the fillets with DP Raging River. Grilled them flesh side down for 3 minutes at 350f and then flipped them skin side down.

DSC_0529resized-1.jpg

I made a glaze out of
1/3 cup commercial bbq sauce
2 Tbsp mirin
2 Tbsp dry sherry (still seemed wet to me, ha ha)
1.5 tsp sesame oil

I glazed them at 5 minutes after the flip (8 total now) because I thought they would be done soon.

DSC_0531resized.jpg

But since my coals were almost empty, they were farther from the grate (aka grid) and ended up taking another 5-7 minutes. If I had the coal up to the top of the fire box, it would have gone quicker.

DSC_0533resized-2.jpg

The fish disappeared quickly. The glaze was perfect for grilled meaty fish like dolphin. If I was making it for me, I would have added a 1/4-1/2 tsp of red pepper flake or maybe Sriracha sauce.
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments