Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

crusty steaks

AnE
AnE Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Mornin' all! Got a question from Alan- when we did the steaks last time, they are done and juicy, but not crispy crusted on the outside- we have the egg up above 700,slip the grillin place and put the steaks on...and are slathering them in mustard and seasonings as the egg is heating up- do we have too much mustard on 'em?- why aren't they getting crispy (we've been doing the full open vents, 2 min per side, then closing the vents for 6 minutes.....it's a bit difficult for Alan, as he likes his steaks really rare (or, as he says, "a good vet could save it..") Any thoughts would be appreciated...Cheers! Elizabeth

Comments

• AnE, I have been using my komado for the last twenty two years, and think it is the greatest cooking tool that I have had the pleasure to use. BUT... I don't do steaks on it. I like my steaks the same way your husband does: charred on the outside, and semi-raw in the middle. I have found that the only way to do this is with a charcole-fired bar-b-que that has a movable grill. That way, you can set the grill right on top of the coals to do the charing, then move it up to do the cooking. My grill of choice is a cast iron habaci (sp?). It will be interesting to see what others have to say.[p]Regards,[p]Bill

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Bill Petersen, your correct in not doing steaks at high temps on your older kamado. They are a fired clay product, not a ceramic tool like the newer BGE's. BGE made some heavy duty changes in ceramic's some years ago and now its much more heat tolerant. Tested in access of 1600 degrees F.[p]Elizebeth, I would use a thin layer of mustard. and at the higher temps you can sear a bit longer both sides, and if Alan likes em rare inside and crispy outside..then cut down the simmer time with the dome closed..in fact, he probably doesn't need simmer time at all..Just do em 3 minutes per side and remove. Leave yours on till it quits kicking :-)[p]C~W

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    AnE,[p]I'm a medium person but my wife requires juicy well done (pink means it ain't dead yet) person. To achieve rare but crusty requires cooking the outside without heating the inside. I can offer two possibilities. Has Alan looked into the "Pittsburg" style of cooking steak? The goal is to fry the outside and the inside may still be luke warm. I can't help you on this venture. The other possibilty is to cool the steak in the freezer prior to searing. Prep his steak as usual and place it in the freezer for a 1/2 hour before cooking. Use two longer sears and no rest time before removing. I hope this helps.[p]Spin

• db
    db Posts: 103
    AnE, Don't use any mustard at all. Put oil on the outside, then your seasoning. I think that moisture inhibits the browning of meats.
    db[p]

• AnE,Not long back I posted the same observation. I have since bought the cast iron trivet to replace my grate, and this helps get the temps higher and steaks a little crustier, but still not what I'm after. The idea of omitting mustard and lightly oiling sounds promising. The suggestion to freeze the steaks makes no sense to me, this would keep the outside from cooking fast, and promote a cooked center. My steaks must be blood rare inside and charred outside to qualify as memorable. I'm working at it....

• AnE,[p]You might try a rub that has a bit of sugar in it. Sugar should char and give it that crispy texture you are looking for. Also, try Char Crust - I believe that there is a link to their web site on the "links" page. I have had good luck with getting a nice char using their product.

• Spin
    Frozen Chosen,[p]Actually freezing does work. The sear thaws and then cooks the outside while the cold inside prevents the high temp from moving inwards and cooking the inside. Sear, flip, sear, remove.[p]Spin

• AnE
    AnE Posts: 26
    Spin, You're right- rumor has it that frozen is the way all the "famous" steak places go to get the really, really rare steaks done right!!! Cheers! Elizabeth

• Spin,I'm game; but would you freeze them solid, or just fro an hour or so?

• Spin
    FrozenChosen,[p]Freeze until stiff - not solid.[p]Spin

• db
    db Posts: 103
    AnE, Partially freezing helps on those thin pork chops also.[p]
  • Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Elizabeth,[p]What I have experienced is that steaks cooked with the yellow mustard rub do not get as crispy on the outside as steaks cooked without the mustard. I believe that the mustard acts as a protective coating which burns off during the 2-3 minute per side blast furnace temperatures and protects the actual outside of the steak from charing as much. I have found that the mustard rubbed steaks tend to be more tender after cooking than steaks cooked without the mustard.[p]Hope this helps,[p]Eggless in Shreveport (aka Mr Beer)[p]BTW, I'm heading home tomorrow for the weekend. The Egg will be fired up tomorrow night for sure.