Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Praise The Lord and Pass the Ammo; I Believe!!

Options
Smok'inCSI
Smok'inCSI Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just did my first steak ala TREX method and it was without any Irish, the best steak that I have ever eaten.
Thanks a million for all of the people who helped this Newbie out of the forrest
Million thanks to Banker John who took time to explain in very simple terms to me how to hit the 1000 degree mark..I hit it.Looking forward to more adventures with the BGE
Am planning on coming back to The EGGFEST in Oct.
Look forward to meeting your all
M

Comments

• Smokin CSI,[p]Can you recap the steps you leanred? (is this the fire-starter stick, over 2 coals, and build a pryramid, slowly adding -- method?)[p](i got my egg upto 600 fast using a hair-dryer in the bottom vent...)[p]Thanks!
  • Smok'inCSI
    Options
    hakalugi,
    What I did was to clean out the entire firebox and the bottom ash collector till they were squeaky clean.
    Then a used a MAPP gas torch to light a handfull of Big Green Egg charcoal bqkts, then after that was going, took a hairdryer and started add fuel while holding the hairdryer directly at the stack of embers.
    Within 10-15 minutes, with the bottom vent wide open and the top wide open it started climbing for the sky like a F-18 with full afterburners on..
    Seared the steaks per TREX method etc.
    M

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    Smokin CSI,
    I'm glad my hints helped. I'm no expert, as compared to many of the fine folks that post here often. While not an expert, I have had some bad and good experiences that I have learned from. Anything we can do - just ask![p]Banker John