Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork Shoulder in-a-bag

Cpt'n CookCpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
edited 12:58PM in EggHead Forum
Did Pork Shoulder with mint pesto the other night. Couldn't seem to find a butcher with waxless butcher paper as Grampasgrub suggested so I wrapped with parchment paper and then with craft paper. I pulled it at 195 internal, wrapped it in newspaper a put it in a cooler for an hour or so. It was not pull-able but sliced nicely. It was very tender, tasty and juicy. The mint pesto was excellent, would be great on lamb. It was a good use of my ever expanding Mint patch, I can only drink so many Mint Julips :laugh:
DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

Forgot to take pics of the finished product! I ate it.
·

Comments

• Cpt'n Cook, would love some more details on the recipe for the cook. I don't recall seeing Grampasgrub's recipe. I've got a 11+ lb shoulder that I'll probably cook during the week of July 4th. Something new and different would be appreciated.

If I recall, Mint grows like a weed. Good to find a second use for the leaf.
    ·
  • Cpt'n CookCpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Paul,

Use any Pesto recipe and substitute Mint for Basil. Wrap as shown, two layers, if you can find unwaxed butcher paper it would probably be better. I cooked at 270-280 indirect for about 3 1/2 hrs and pulled at 195 internal. It produces a lot of liquid and made a nice dipping sauce. Go a little higher if you want to pull it.

It was about a 3 1/2 lb shoulder.

It was kind of a fun cook.
    ·
  • beesbees Posts: 335
    Now that's what I would call champion brown
    bagging.Randy
    ·
  • BananaChipzBananaChipz Posts: 207
    interesting...

I've done fish and vegetables "en papillote" in the oven, but never thought of a pork shoulder.

Did any smokiness from the Egg get through? I'm just thinking it would come out the same in the oven.
    ·