Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max turkey

Options
Mark Backer
Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Man, that was a good bird right there. I didn't put a thermo in until I thought it looked pretty close, and by then the popup timer went off and I checked and found (gasp) meat close to 190. [p]Didn't matter though, as it was still great.[p]And let me tell you folks, that gravy was the best I've ever had. Everyone just raved and raved about the gravy. I can't wait to make another of my $1.60 turkies just to have more gravy!![p]Thanks max. It's amazing what you can do when you read the instructions all the way thru and don't throw stuff away...

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    so you used it all this time, eh??. .. .way to go. ..glad it turned out so good for you... how big was the bird? . . .any trouble with set up?. .

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]We didn't have celery, but we made do with celery seed (believe it or not). We had found an 8 dollar turkey roasting pan at walmart about 3 months ago, and nearly forgot we had it. I put three egg feet under the pan on the inverted platesetter, then I put two egg feet under the trivet in the pan to get a little clearance on the bottom, but it fit perfectly. The pan could have held more bird than our 16.5 pounder, but the pan was made for the egg. It even cleaned up perfectly, which amazed me. I half thought it'd be disposable. LOL[p]I used a BIG bottle of mondavi white wine, so it was a little wine-ier than it was supposed to be, but everyone loved that too. I was amazed at how the gravy came out though. We had both burners going in the roasting pan on the stove, and my pops and I were frantically stirring, adding flour, stirring, adding stock, etc., but the result was well worth it.[p]Thanks for the step by step. My only tip for some bird cleaning spouses is to put a big warning at the top that says, "read the entire recipe thru once and don't throw anything away." If we'd had that, we'd have found this gravy at thanksgiving. LOL[p]Great job!!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    good stuff. ..great thing about that gravy, if you have leftovers, is you can increase it now by simply adding some more chicken broth, and a little flour/broth paste to maintain thickness. . .use the leftover bird, buy some pre-made pie crusts and make a turkey pot pie (i got that idea from bbqblues kelley). . .make a roux, add some of the gravey for a nice sauce. .. add cut up turkey and veggies, and waalaa, best turkey pot pie you ever had. .. .beats the usual leftovers by a mile. . ..