Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Friday Night Fish Fry...

Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,418
edited 11:42AM in EggHead Forum
Thanks to those that have been makin blackened fish I got "inspired".

Fresh Atlantic grouper, no skin, no bones, no kidding. My own blackened fish seasoning. I brush the fish with melted butter then dump on the seasoning.
BlackenedAtlanticGrouper0002.jpg

Into a hot cast iron pan with more butter, woooo hoooo, can't get enough of that hot stuff! :lol:
BlackenedAtlanticGrouper0003.jpg

All done, time to sit down and enjoy.
BlackenedAtlanticGrouper0010.jpg

High flavor crust, delicious moist meat inside. BlackenedAtlanticGrouper0011-1.jpg

Eat more fish, it's good for you.
·

Comments

• 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Man I could eat grouper all day. Yours looks de lish. :P
    ·
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,418
    Thanks.
    DianaQ said the same. So I'll be makin this again.

Hope you did not get hit with storm damage, nasty weather. Stay safe on your motorcycle rides. B)
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    OHMYGOODNESS! I be LOVIN some blackened fish.I am an advocate of coating in butta before the seasoning. :)PURFECT.
    ·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Thanks Clay. Some how we manage to skin by. Blessings to you and DianaQ as well. ;)
    ·
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 3,789
    Looks great. Cast iron is great on the Egg.
    Grouper is such a wonderful fish.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
    ·
  • Ross in VenturaRoss in Ventura Posts: 6,693
    Looks wonderful Clay

Ross
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,864
    Great meal. We have fish fries down south also. Just had frog legs, cat fish and gator tail for lunch here yesterday. Come on down.

http://twisterairboatrides.tripod.com/
    ·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
    Nicely done, look how perfectly cooked!
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
    Thanks Hoss.
    Thought you was lost in the swamps without a compass. :blink:
    Good that you're back alive and kickin.
    ·
    Darin,
    Yeah, grouper is excellent to cook with and delicious to eat, a win win. I had a choice of Pacific grouper or Atlantic, I went with Atlantic. Still learnin my ocean fish living well inboard not seaboard. Sweet water game fish I'm familiar with. You is in a VERY good position to pick up fresh seafood right from the commercial fishhouse in Galveston. Great photography opportunities as well I would think...
    ·
    Thanks Ross.

Next time I'll have some grape squeezins with blackened fish, thinking Concannon Merlot, easy drinkin.
    ·
  • egretegret Posts: 4,033
    Looks great, Clay! I haven't done anything blackened in a long time. Care to tell us what was in the the blackening rub? :)
    ·
    Hoooweee that looks like a great place to have fun and enjoy fresh fish and amphibians.
    Is that the same place where you ate BBQ'ed Baby Manatee Toes? Yummmmy. :laugh:

For breakfast I just finished leftover blackened grouper wrapped in a butter toasted nan bread. Was good with a mug of French press java.

Have a great day Richard! We are enjoying your seasonings.
    ·
    Thanks Chris!

Awesome site. My complements to you on your magnificent cooking and superb photography. Impressive. :cheer:

I'm not giving up on you yet...have you tried Dizzy Pig Maple Glazed Salmon??? www.dizzypigbbq.com
    Go to recipes.
    ·
    Thanks John. Yes I can.

By the way, I got your starter out, going to make pita bread tomorrow. Greek seasoning lamb burgers is on the menu. Moved the "Baker Egg" out to summer quarters yesterday. I need to design a table with wheels for the large, I'm getting tired of watching DianaQ moving them around by hand. :laugh: :P :laugh: :P

Anyhow...this seasoning I whipped up and it did the job just fine although someone might like more salt and heat.
    BlackenedAtlanticGrouper0001.jpg

Clay's Cajun Blackening Seasoning (mild)

4 T sweet paprika
    2 T coarse salt
    1 T Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom (add more for heat)
    1 T onion powder
    2 tsp black pepper
    2 tsp dried oregano
    2 tsp dried thyme
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp celery seed
    1 tsp dried dill

Brush skinless thick fleshed fish with melted butter and apply a heavy amount of seasoning to both sides. The butter helps the seasoning to stick on the fish. Add 2 T clarified butter to a very hot cast iron skillet and blacken fish evenly to both sides until fish is 145 degrees in the thickest part.
    Enjoy!
    ·
  • EggsakleyEggsakley Posts: 1,014
    Damn that looks good. Off to see the monger. :)
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,342
    Blacken fish cooked in butter...nothing wrong with that...Did you use clarify butter in the CI skillet?
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
    Have fun!
    ·
    You bet. Gheeeeeee
    See recipe posted to egret.
    ·
  • egretegret Posts: 4,033
    Thank you for that, my friend. Dang, I gave away my bottle of Swamp Venom to someone at my fest because I never used it!! :sick:
    ·
  • Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 3,789
    Wife is not a big fish lover but we should eat more fish.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
    ·
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Looks good Clay, methinks your travels to the south are paying dividends!! :laugh: :P :laugh:
    ·
    Yeah, I'm rightly influenced in a gourmet way. Love the fruits of the land and the bounty of the sea when I'm down in Florida. Great people also... ;)

Thanks Capt'n.

Workin on a new table design for the mini, it will be convertible as a table top hibachi or free standing 30" height table. Lot's to think about with joinery, going to be tricky but the outcome/function will justify the extra design work.
    ·
  • beesbees Posts: 335
    That looks great! How big a piece of fish is that?Thanks for sharing.Randy
    ·
    Atlantic grouper can be all sizes. This was almost 2 pounds of a fillet with tail section cut off so the thickness remained fairly consistent. At home I cut into manageable pieces for turning in the egg. As the fish cooks it often starts to fall apart because it's so tender. A smaller portion around 8oz. is much easer to turn with very hot fire going. So 6oz. to 8oz. pieces is a very good size for cooking as well as individual serving size.
    Hope this helps to answer your question. :)

Good luck and have fun cookin fish in the egg!
    ·
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Clay I love blackened fish, the peppery taste the butter the flames the show , yours look great, must have some soon
    ·