Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

THANK YOU EGGHEADS!!!

Options
dbruce2000
dbruce2000 Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have owned my egg for a couple of years and like a typical guy I didn't read any instructions or do any research. The result was many charred and ruined pieces of meat! It got so bad that every time I announced to my wife and sons that we were having burgers or steak they would say "...um are you going to cook it on the egg or the gas grill?" because they knew dinner was doomed if the answer was egg! I ruined two nice briskets, many racks of ribs, and countless chicken breasts, burgers and steaks.

Recently I found this forum and began reading, learning and buying eggccessories. Finally I got up the nerve to try a low and slow pork shoulder. Got up at 5:00 am and 14 hours later my wife, my boys, and myself were all amazed at the juicy, tender, delicious pork goodness that lay before us!!! Thank you all for this great place!
Cooking.jpg
DoneonEgg.jpg
PulledPork.jpg
Samich.jpg

Comments

• No Trash
    No Trash Posts: 73
    Options
    Give a man a grill he will burn food quickly.... teach a man to cook on an egg he spend hours researching and finding the best way to cook what he loves. :laugh: And maybe drinking a cold one :woohoo:

This forum is the best teaching tool I have ever seen. Go ahead and spend hours here learning from others. The more you know the better you will love your egg (Been on vacation all week - miss my egg :blush: )
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    Dbruce, nicely done! Sorry to hear about the learning curve, but you are here now! Welcome! All the help you need is right here.. Now, outta this hotel and on to the NewEggland fest in the rain!
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    Options
    Nice job Db. Sometimes the learning curve and lack of success will motivate you more. Seems like you have gotten over the hurdle and are on the way to serving your family some more amazing food from the Egg.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    That sounds like my story dating back to my first Egg in 1999. I even mention it in my profile.

But if you think the advice you get on this Forum is great, wait 'til you meet the people giving it. You will quickly see that they're genuinely nice people who really want everyone to enjoy the Egg.

I'm sure you will be posting a lot more often now that you finally got the hang of it. We'll look forward to every post.

Spring "Help Is Just A Short Post Away" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I didn't know about the forum until about a month after I got my first Egg. The huge variety of dishes, and the eggcellent cooks here really opened my eyes. The Egg is so different from regular charcoal grills, offset smokers, and (evidently) gassers, that it requires a whole different set of skills. Many common BBQ practices just don't pertain.

Soon, I suspect you will ruin your family for food cooked w. other means.
  • tennvol
    tennvol Posts: 15
    Options
    My first post here... I received a Large Egg for Father's Day and we have eaten off the Egg everyday since so far (may skip today but back at it tomorrow when my oldest daughter and her familty visit). I started out slow for sure ...

Monday - Burgers (and Fresh Corn)
    Tuesday - Chicken Sausage with SunDried Tomatoes (and Fresh Corn)
    Wednesday - Wings
    Thursday - Chicken Fajitas
    Friday - Pizza (used a Pampered Chef Pizza Stone that wasn't big enough - pizza was good but I will be purchasing an appropriate stone soon)

Each night we sat down to dinner and were amazed at the results (the most consistent comment was about the tender and juicy nature of the meal - I can attribute it to 1 - The Egg and 2 - The posts and recipes I read off this site each night preparing for the next night's meal.

Unless something happens to change course - I can see many, many meals coming off the Egg and my old reliable Weber being moved to the Lake House.

Thanks to all and I look forward to see you around here and at any Eggvents in the Atlanta area.

JC
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Options
    Trying two overnight tonight. I hope they come out looking as delicious as those.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Sorry your head and the wall kept meeting for two years. Now you are here and from the looks you have many wonderful egged meals in your future. The is a wealth of everything here, welcome to our world. Keep the food pics coming :)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • pfunk1013
    pfunk1013 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'd also like to chime in a word of thanks to this great online community. Without this resource I think a lot of people would be having a hard time using their Egg to it's full potential. The fact that everyone here is so welcoming and supportive is a nice breath of fresh air, especially on the internet where it is so easy to be negative. So, cheers to you Eggheads! :laugh:
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Everything you need to know you can learn here. All of us love to share. Time, temp, setups, equipment, tools, cuts of meat, what we are drinkin, the weather, dogs and gators and mountains...it's all here. :cheer: ;)
    Glad your on the right path. Enjoy!
  • Hemiking
    Hemiking Posts: 4
    Options
    I also want to thank everyone on this site for the generous sharing of their knowledge. I received a large BGE for Father's Day. I had been looking at them for years but be never had the courage to pull the trigger and buy one. I have been smoking on a variety of smokers- gas, charcoal and good old fashion wood fire, but the BGE is simply amazing and fun to use. So far I have cooked chicken, rib eyes, and I even did an all night butt, all were amazing. The butt was the best I had ever done and it is because of all the info I gathered on this site. My wife just completed her MBA and is planning a party for her classmates and I know the menu will have something smoked on it. I will be reading all party posts for the next week or so to plan our get to gather. Thank you all and "May the smoke be in your eyes!"
  • Zogman100
    Zogman100 Posts: 69
    Options
    After ruining my first two cooks I went on the internets to look for help. Lucky I found this place only after a few days with my egg. I'm still no expert but the short time I've been here my egging has vastly improved.Lots of great ideas, help, tips and tricks have been learned here. Thanks to all the veteran eggers out there. I usually don't even need to ask any questions, a quick search will most likely get me the info I need. Great place!
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Welcome dbruce! Looks like you've got it now, the pp looks wonderful.
  • Pilcher Man
    Options
    I was lost when I first got my BGE. I wanted to cook all kinds of food on it. Frank from Houma, Beli, Spring Chicken and alot of other eggers patiently answered all my from cook temps to maintenance to how to build my own egg cart. The people on the forum are great! I've had my XL 3 years now and I'm not afraid to cook anything.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Nice cook. Sorry to hear about your briskets. When a brisket cook goes bad, it is REAL bad. You may want to get a platesetter and a drip pan for your low and slows. Good luck with your next "beast"
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP