Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday Night Fish Fry...

Options
Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to those that have been makin blackened fish I got "inspired".

Fresh Atlantic grouper, no skin, no bones, no kidding. My own blackened fish seasoning. I brush the fish with melted butter then dump on the seasoning.
BlackenedAtlanticGrouper0002.jpg

Into a hot cast iron pan with more butter, woooo hoooo, can't get enough of that hot stuff! :lol:
BlackenedAtlanticGrouper0003.jpg

All done, time to sit down and enjoy.
BlackenedAtlanticGrouper0010.jpg

High flavor crust, delicious moist meat inside. BlackenedAtlanticGrouper0011-1.jpg

Eat more fish, it's good for you.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Man I could eat grouper all day. Yours looks de lish. :P
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Thanks.
    DianaQ said the same. So I'll be makin this again.

Hope you did not get hit with storm damage, nasty weather. Stay safe on your motorcycle rides. B)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    OHMYGOODNESS! I be LOVIN some blackened fish.I am an advocate of coating in butta before the seasoning. :)PURFECT.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Thanks Clay. Some how we manage to skin by. Blessings to you and DianaQ as well. ;)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks great. Cast iron is great on the Egg.
    Grouper is such a wonderful fish.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Looks wonderful Clay

Ross
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Great meal. We have fish fries down south also. Just had frog legs, cat fish and gator tail for lunch here yesterday. Come on down.

http://twisterairboatrides.tripod.com/
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Nicely done, look how perfectly cooked!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Thanks Hoss.
    Thought you was lost in the swamps without a compass. :blink:
    Good that you're back alive and kickin.
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Darin,
    Yeah, grouper is excellent to cook with and delicious to eat, a win win. I had a choice of Pacific grouper or Atlantic, I went with Atlantic. Still learnin my ocean fish living well inboard not seaboard. Sweet water game fish I'm familiar with. You is in a VERY good position to pick up fresh seafood right from the commercial fishhouse in Galveston. Great photography opportunities as well I would think...
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Thanks Ross.

Next time I'll have some grape squeezins with blackened fish, thinking Concannon Merlot, easy drinkin.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Looks great, Clay! I haven't done anything blackened in a long time. Care to tell us what was in the the blackening rub? :)
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Hoooweee that looks like a great place to have fun and enjoy fresh fish and amphibians.
    Is that the same place where you ate BBQ'ed Baby Manatee Toes? Yummmmy. :laugh:

For breakfast I just finished leftover blackened grouper wrapped in a butter toasted nan bread. Was good with a mug of French press java.

Have a great day Richard! We are enjoying your seasonings.
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Thanks Chris!

Awesome site. My complements to you on your magnificent cooking and superb photography. Impressive. :cheer:

I'm not giving up on you yet...have you tried Dizzy Pig Maple Glazed Salmon??? www.dizzypigbbq.com
    Go to recipes.
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Thanks John. Yes I can.

By the way, I got your starter out, going to make pita bread tomorrow. Greek seasoning lamb burgers is on the menu. Moved the "Baker Egg" out to summer quarters yesterday. I need to design a table with wheels for the large, I'm getting tired of watching DianaQ moving them around by hand. :laugh: :P :laugh: :P

Anyhow...this seasoning I whipped up and it did the job just fine although someone might like more salt and heat.
    BlackenedAtlanticGrouper0001.jpg

Clay's Cajun Blackening Seasoning (mild)

4 T sweet paprika
    2 T coarse salt
    1 T Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom (add more for heat)
    1 T onion powder
    2 tsp black pepper
    2 tsp dried oregano
    2 tsp dried thyme
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp celery seed
    1 tsp dried dill

Brush skinless thick fleshed fish with melted butter and apply a heavy amount of seasoning to both sides. The butter helps the seasoning to stick on the fish. Add 2 T clarified butter to a very hot cast iron skillet and blacken fish evenly to both sides until fish is 145 degrees in the thickest part.
    Enjoy!
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Damn that looks good. Off to see the monger. :)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Blacken fish cooked in butter...nothing wrong with that...Did you use clarify butter in the CI skillet?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Clay Q
    Options
  • Clay Q
    Options
    You bet. Gheeeeeee
    See recipe posted to egret.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Thank you for that, my friend. Dang, I gave away my bottle of Swamp Venom to someone at my fest because I never used it!! :sick:
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Wife is not a big fish lover but we should eat more fish.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Looks good Clay, methinks your travels to the south are paying dividends!! :laugh: :P :laugh:
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Yeah, I'm rightly influenced in a gourmet way. Love the fruits of the land and the bounty of the sea when I'm down in Florida. Great people also... ;)

Thanks Capt'n.

Workin on a new table design for the mini, it will be convertible as a table top hibachi or free standing 30" height table. Lot's to think about with joinery, going to be tricky but the outcome/function will justify the extra design work.
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    That looks great! How big a piece of fish is that?Thanks for sharing.Randy
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Atlantic grouper can be all sizes. This was almost 2 pounds of a fillet with tail section cut off so the thickness remained fairly consistent. At home I cut into manageable pieces for turning in the egg. As the fish cooks it often starts to fall apart because it's so tender. A smaller portion around 8oz. is much easer to turn with very hot fire going. So 6oz. to 8oz. pieces is a very good size for cooking as well as individual serving size.
    Hope this helps to answer your question. :)

Good luck and have fun cookin fish in the egg!
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Clay I love blackened fish, the peppery taste the butter the flames the show , yours look great, must have some soon