Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Urgent - help needed holding butts - Please!

Davekatz
Davekatz Posts: 763
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have 4 butts that I smoked at 300°F for 5 hours. Due to time/schedule/life demands, that's all the time I have tonight.

I've moved them to a large steam pan, doused them with apple juice, and foiled them tight with heavy-duty aluminum foil. They are currently sitting in a 170°F oven overnight until I can pull and package them tomorrow.

I think I'll be okay - it's over 140° so the food cops are happy and 8 hours at 170° ought to render the connective tissue.

Assurances? Warnings? Advice? All are welcome.

Thanks much,

Dave
Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I would turn the temp up to 190-195, I have held finished butts like that for hours
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    YEP.What the Poolman said.Kick it up to 190 or so,you'll be fine. ;)
  • 190* to hold them, I would put plastic wrap on steam tray and then put double foil on top. Holds the moisture and seals in heat.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    I agree with what was previously mentioned, 190* oven. (what was the meat temp when pulled from the Egg?) I know life gets in the way sometimes, but just curious why not 250* overnight in the Egg? :huh: Why the rush at the beginning to be held in an oven?
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Between getting a new fire grate that cooks a little hotter, not feeling the greatest, the weather not cooperating, and this being a cook for a friend, I chickened out and tried to do a hotter/faster cook but ran out of steam before the butts where ready.

But thanks to all of your support, they held in the oven over night and then I cranked them up to 350°F this morning for an hour. Then bone fell right out when I pulled them. Very tender and tasty too.

Hope the crowd likes them. I'll know tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.