Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

electric starters

Options
Wisconsinegghead
Wisconsinegghead Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have experience with electric charcoal starters? What is your preferred method of starting your egg? Right now I use BGE starters or if I am in a hurry a torch.

Thoughts?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I no longer use one, but when I did many years ago - pre-BGE my problem was the hassle of getting out the cord but worst was where to put it safely after using it! Even unplugged it stays hot a while and can damage deck boards...don't ask why I know that... :whistle:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i use a 19 dollar weedburner, its the fastest way. i also use a small drizzle of veg oil on a napkin, roll it up and twist it, put some lump on it and light both ends, surprisingly quick, cheap, and papertowels and oil is always on hand, way better than starter cubes and lights a good sized area
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    Options
    I use the BGE Electric starter. I just place it on top of the charcoal in the center and let it sit there 5 minutes or so. It has a stand so you can safely place it on the ground. Works well. I got it along with the BGE as a gift. I'm not sure if I would choose a different method as this works fine.

I guess it isn't as manly or sexy as bringing out the Acetylene Torch, or a flame thrower, but it works fine.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the oil and napkin is actually faster though and safer when its raining ;)
    fukahwee maine

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    MAPP gas torch. i got tired of less than ideal results and length of time needed using starter cubes and oil soaked rags.
  • Wisconsinegghead
    Options
    I think I am going to stick with the MAPP gas torch for now too.
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    Options
    fishlessman wrote:
    the oil and napkin is actually faster though and safer when its raining ;)

Since I don't keep my Egg on the deck (keep in the the garage), if it is raining, I light it in my garage and then roll it out.

But I see your point. I was thinking of getting some napalm, but then I don't want the gassy smell.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    there is just so many ways to light an egg, ive even used anthracite coal from the stove :laugh:

e915bd30.jpg

people new to the egg seem to fret over it, you dont worry about such things later on, just light it :laugh:

100_1397.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• macminn
    macminn Posts: 12
    Options
    Funny, I was just going to ask a question on starting the egg. I'm not sure why, but it seems it takes a while to get up to temp. I'm thinking maybe I need to clean out the ash, and/or smaller particles of charcoal?

Those that are using the weed burner, how long does it take? I tried one and it seemed to take forever, I might be doing something wrong.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    Fishless, I went a few dqys ago to "Hahba Fright" and picked up a propoane weed burner. That is by far the quickest way to get lump lit. You just need to BE CAREFUL with it, as it throws a lot'a btu's at one time. STAND BACK when you give it a squeeze. However, it makes short work of getting your lump prepped for temp stabilization.
  • Lambchops
    Lambchops Posts: 166
    Options
    That is all I use and I love it.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I place mine in the egg, pile the charcoal around it, plug it in, wait 5 minutes while prepping food, pull it out and unplug it, and place it on a stack of concrete pavers till it cools off. Then I put it away when I'm storing my tools after the cook.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I started out with an electric starter, then switched to using rubbing alcohol. After a couple of months using that, I'm very satisfied.

;)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • AustinTX-Egger
    Options
    I use an electric coil starter from Home Depot. Bought them for $5 on clearance and they work great.

However, my BGE is on a patio that has a overhang and water is not an issue. I am interested in trying the paper towel / oil method. It's just too simple not to try.
  • brisket30
    brisket30 Posts: 122
    Options
    Mapping gas tourch works great. Start in around the edges and the middle. Ready to egg in 15 minutes.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Love the electric starter. When I take it out, I set it on my concrete patio (next to the EGG) and put a paver brick on the handle -- just to make sure it doesn't go anywhere!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Looft Lighter. Expensive hair dryer on steroids, but I love it. 60 seconds at each spot and you've got hot coals. Of course the fire has to spread as with any other method. I hit about three spots with my medium and two on the mini.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    I've tried starter cubes (found them in my deck box), Mapp gas, and paper towel & oil

I love Mapp gas...20 seconds in three spots in the Large and the Small, counting from "one-one thousand" to twenty, and once or twice in the Mini.

Last week I tried the paper & oil in the Small and it was a windy day, kept putting out the flame. Back to the trusty Mapp torch.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Scooby's Eggin again!
    Options
    I use the electric and I am very happy with it. Just make sure you set a timer for about 6 minutes so you don't forget about it. I have been using it for about a year now. Easy to control the fire after it is lit.

Rich
  • woody's wood pit
    Options
    i love the smell of napalm in the morning....great stuff... isn't it...

by the way i need some agent orange to get rid of some trees and shrubbs my neighbor is growing.. any sugestions...

not good for cooking but it really cleans the place up...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• woody's wood pit
    Options
    i have been using the egghead squares and have had great sucess with them...i dont know why i would change, why mess with sucess...

i use one on a xl and give it about 15 minutes to get up to speed with the top off and the vent wide open, then i close down the air supply, works like a charm...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    I started out with starter sticks, then went to the electric starter, and have ended up with the paper towel/oil method. In most cases the latter is the way to go for me. Had a couple bad experiences with the electric starter, was a easy decision to change from it.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    I am quickly becoming a real fan....takes no time at all to light the lump......I also don't get any of the usual smoke. Best thing I've tried so far.