Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook on the mini tonight! (lots of pics) =)

Options
Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, got my mini today, and had my first cook. Gave it a really good breakin' in, too!

Unpacked and ready to assemble. Oh, and the NY Strip coming to temperature next to it.

IMG_5917.jpg

Also got a few accessories for the large... a "small" plate setter - this will be used as a skewer rest in the bottom of the firebox for when I cook tandoori style, a new pizza stone (so I can cook in the oven inside as well on the egg outside), and an ash pan.

IMG_5918.jpg

Nice, juicy, aberdeenshire angus NY Strip. Dry aged for 41 days. :D

IMG_5919.jpg

... and seasoned. Not much fuss. Just kosher salt & freshly ground black peppercorns.

IMG_5925.jpg

Quick calibration of the thermometer...

IMG_5926.jpg

And we're ready to rock & roll. The setup: Only temporary, I need a table that holds both the large & mini now. :(

IMG_5927.jpg

Come on baby, light my fire!

IMG_5928.jpg

While the mini was doing it's first burn (let it burn around 400 or so for an hour), I went inside and did a little prep work, which included preparing the haggis. What's that, I say? HAGGIS? Well, someone said if I could make haggis look good, they'd give it a try. So here's my attempt. ;) First, I parboiled it. Unfortunately, while it was parboiling, the ends exploded off. lol.

IMG_5932.jpg

Originally I was going to parboil it, then slice it, then grill it over high direct heat for a nice sear... then serve it on top of grilled tomatoes... but since the ends exploded, I had to improvise. So what's any self respecting egger do in this situation? Wrap it in BACON!

IMG_5933.jpg

After the haggis was ready, and the tomatoes sliced, I went back outside and put on some more lump and cranked the mini up to 750.

IMG_5937.jpg

Brushed some oil on the grate...

IMG_5938.jpg

And dropped my dinner on.

IMG_5942.jpg

Almost immediately the flames started kissing the steak.

IMG_5950.jpg

Zea wasn't about to move. She was staying right where she was, hoping I'd accidentally drop a steak on her wee little head. lol

IMG_5960.jpg

First flip, about 90 secondes or so after putting it on.

IMG_5963.jpg

Steak off, closed the vents to almost completely closed, and dialed back the temperature to around 425 so the steak could finish cooking.

IMG_5970.jpg

Zea was going NUTS at this point, she could smell the steak and it was almost within reach...

IMG_5971.jpg

About 15 minutes later, after several burps of the mini, I got it to stabilize around 425 and put the steak back on.

IMG_5992.jpg

Let it sizzle for another 8 minutes (4 per side). Here it is ready to come off.

IMG_6000.jpg

Resting, while the rest of the food cooks.

IMG_6004.jpg

Bacon wrapped haggis on the egg. The haggis is already cooked, so I just had to crisp up the bacon a wee bit.

IMG_6005.jpg

Profile view of bacon wrapped haggis.

IMG_6006.jpg

Tomato slices & jalapeno ready to go on.

IMG_6012.jpg

Everything roasting now.

IMG_6015.jpg

Time for a wee dram of my favorite adult beverage :D

IMG_6018.jpg

Dinner is served! TRex style NY Strip, served with bacon wrapped haggis, grilled tomatos, roasted jalapeno, baby romaine lettuce and a few onion slices that I found at the last minute. My wife was all "you should have grilled the onions!" Of course, she's right. lol

IMG_6020.jpg

That steak was awesome. Better than the ribeye I cooked last Sunday.

IMG_6022.jpg

Comments

• Le Oeuf Vert
    Le Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    Options
    Looks like your off to a good start. Best of luck with the Mini.
  • Rezen73
    Options
    Thanks. Already thinking about how to use it to complement what I do on the large on my weekend cooks ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Poor Zea she looks sooo deprived. Look how thin she looks. :laugh: You probably should grill a steak for her. While your at it I have one as well. :P

Great looking cook and congrats on you mini. :)
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Options
    great looking cook...my kind of steak B)

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    IMG_5971.jpg

Your new Egg table is gonna need a high fence... :laugh:
    Thanks for the pics, great! :)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    A very interesting and tasty picture show!

I am looking forward to the pictures of your tandoori cooking. Keep your camera handy!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Wow, awesome! That is one beautiful piece of meat! (Not referring to the haggis :-( I so love the Mini, cooking an organic thick cut pork chop on mine as I type. It's a very fun little cooker, looks like you are going to love yours! Congrats!
  • Rezen73
    Options
    Thanks Judy,

I've cooked tandoori style a couple of times so far, and will do so again soon, with the new plate setter :D

Here are a couple of pics from previous endeavors.

A couple of week after getting my egg (last year)...

IMG_1148.JPG

and just a couple of weeks ago...

tandoori_chicken2.jpg

and a few times inbetween, but no pics of those :(
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Well it looks like you may have a few pictures that may make SpringChickens Mini Reel.
    Very good cook. Are you thinking: what took me so long to get a mini?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Would you explain what those were, aside from the onion and shrimp?
    Judy in San Diego
  • Rezen73
    Options
    Haha, been thinking that for months! Funny, my wife told me the day I bought the large that I should have gotten a mini too. ;)
  • Rezen73
    Options
    Oh, certainly.

Bone-in chicken thighs, marinated in yogurt + some traditional tandoori spices. Can't remember exactly what I used on the one from last year, but for the one a few weeks ago, it was pre-marinated in garlic water then marinated in this:

Ginger (about 4" total)
    Garlic (one whole head)
    Egg (1)
    Onion (1 small, or 1/2 of a large one as pictured here)
    Greek yogurt (1 cup)
    Gram/Chickpea Flour (1 cup)
    Cumin seeds, Caraway seeds, Turmeric - I used 1.5 tablespoons each but the qty doesn't matter so much as the ratio. Use the same amount for each.
    salt & pepper to taste.

For the ones I did last year, I skewered them before putting them into a blazing hot egg (was well over 800F), they caramelized almost instantly and only took a couple of minutes to cook.

For the ones I did a few weeks ago, I cooked on a cast iron grill grate, because I couldn't find my long skewers... they are still packed away somewhere! (I recently relocated from Texas to Scotland). :D
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Wonderful pics! A very nice maiden boyage for the mini... ;)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Steak looks wonderful. Looks like your mini is delivering the goods. The Hagis ....well... haggis wrapped in bacon is still hagis :sick: , but the bacon looked good :laugh:
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Nice pictorial.

You are going to have plenty opportunities to try a lot of different single malts - all good. Grouse is not bad for a blend.

Dude - Haggis!? Poor Mini. Scots don't even eat haggis unless it is January 25th and they are following tradition.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Great post and the meal looks perfect!!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    That is a knockout looking meal! I've never had haggis before, just heard how bad it is, but wrapped in bacon....I'd give that a try.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings