Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spaghetti

Options
Chuck222
Chuck222 Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was pleased when my daughter told me she would be home for dinner. The kicker was she had one request. She wanted to make sure I wasn't going to cook dinner on the Egg. She needed a break from all the BBQ we've been eating lately and asked if we could just have something simple. You know, like salad and spaghetti. So I said sure. No problem and then proceeded to fire up the Egg.

We had spaghetti and meatballs (tomatoes, onions, garlic and meatballs from the sauce were cooked/smoked on the Egg).

You probably are all way ahead of me here but I was pleasantly surprised how flavorful the spaghetti sauce was when some of the veggies are fire-roasted on the grill.

Definitely a repeater.

Veggies for sauce:
veggies_grilled.jpg

Meatballs from the grill, added to veggies:
spaghettisaucefixings.jpg

Dinner is served:
spaghetti_plated.jpg

Chuck L.

Comments

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Yummmm...looks very delicious. I notice the ABT on the side...great addition! Hope your daughter enjoyed it... :) How could she not???????
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    She wanted to make sure I wasn't going to cook dinner on the Egg. .... So I said sure. No problem and then proceeded to fire up the Egg.
    I splurrrffffed when I read that! :lol:
    I make a lot of pasta from scratch (eggs, flour, EVOO thru my Kitchenaid rollers and cutters) and was wondering how it'd taste after being smoked while being dried. Hmmm.....

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Chuck222
    Options
    I bet it would be tasty...

Chuck L.
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    haha nice way to include an ABT with your dinner! always room for ABT's on a plate ;)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You are the man Chuck :laugh:
    So what did your daughter have to say about?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    :laugh: That is too funny.

So did she know you roasted the veggies on the egg, or did you keep that a secret?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Great post...I got a kick out of that! My family loves the egg but often have the same attitude. "Dad, do you think you have to cook EVERYTHING on the egg?".

That sketty looks incredible. So far I have only egged meatballs with sketty. The veggies are an awesome touch. The side ABT just knocks it out of the park.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Chuck:

Looks great!

My question to you though...Did you cook the spaghetti on the Egg too?...I can be done...click here to see when we did it :laugh:

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    you can take it one step further ;) mostly cooked elbow macaroni in a colander, give it some smoke, then into a casserole with sauce and meat, cover with cheese, a little more sauce on top, hit it with a rub and cook a bbq american chop suey ;) its pretty darn good :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chuck222
    Options
    I knew some enterprising people have done this before. Your spaghetti looks great, BTW. My inclination is to throw a steak on the grill. But the idea of grilling the veggies and other ingredients in the spaghetti sauce really opened my eyes (and mouth) to some of the possibilities...It was really tasty.
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    WOOOOOW!!!!!
    a must try!!!
    looks AWEEEEEEESOMEEEE!!!!!!!!
    congrats
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    hehehe, love it!
    more than 1 way to skin a cat ;)
    went through same thing with our teen -- got past it pretty quickly.
    hope your daughter outgrows this phase real soon :laugh:
  • Chuck222
    Options