Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Le Creuset

Options
Chuck222
Chuck222 Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a dutch oven (enameled cast iron) that I'm tempted to use in The Egg but have held off because I don't want to damage it (my significant other would not be happy with me if I wrecked this pot since it was a wedding present).

Anybody ever try this? Will the pot clean up ok or should I spring for a dedicated dutch oven for use in the Egg?

Thanks!

Chuck L.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've seen several posts about folks using LC in the egg. They say it cleans up nicely. I have several LC pieces, but have never tried them in the egg. Plain old cast iron is MUCH less expensive, works great - and you can't tell if it doesn't get completely clean. :) I bought a 5qt antique dutch oven a few weeks ago for about $15-20. I really don't care if it cleans up nice. :)

Here are a few posts from a search...

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?searchword=le+creuset&dtstart=0&dtrange=0&orderby=score&pagelength=50&returnfirst=0&option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=search

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• LoisLane
    LoisLane Posts: 94
    Options
    I know from experience how easily the inside of Le Creusets clean up from kitchen use. But knowing how expensive they are- that is not an investment I would gamble using on an outdoor grill.

If the exterior got ruined, that may be an incredibly difficult thing to receive forgiveness for. Although... I DO see a lovely piece of jewelry on display on the forum this evening. Now if you were willing to earn forgiveness with such a piece of art, you may be able to swing a deal with your S.O. ;)
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I used an enameled CI DO for stuffed peppers and it got really black from smoke. Took quite a bit of elbow grease to clean it up. But when I used pyrex or unglazed ceramic for baking, no smoke the pans didn't get nasty at all. Just elbow grease is all it needs. I got a huge set of "TLC" enameled CI at a flea market. Love it. Restocked Brillo today.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Chuck, here is a link you might find interesting. I can't find the picture, but my le creuset is off white and I follow this advice when I use it on the egg ; http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1069159&catid=1
    I also foil it and it is still off white thanks to V1's tip. :laugh:
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Chuck222
    Options
    Very amusing. I like your post.

Chuck
  • Chuck222
    Options
    The one about the jewelry. Very amusing.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I have 3 LC dutch ovens that have each spent dozens if not hundreds of hours in the eggs. You can't tell.

I use soft soap to clean them and the smoke washes right off.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    are they Canadian proof?
  • Chuck222
    Options
    Thanks all, I appreciate the suggestions.

Chuck L.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    If ya can't use it....ya don't need it. ;) I would try it in a heartbeat.That is supposed to be why they are so "Wonderful". :) Just an overpriced enameled CI pot/pan.This is just MY personal opinion. :) Good Luck.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    probably... as long as norma's around. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    I don't have the fancy stuff but I use the one I got from Tractor Supply for baked beans, etc. and have never had a problem cleaning it up. Guess I don't get how LC is different from other enamel coated CI.
    Bruce
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Enamel can darken in extreme heat but they clean up very nicely. I use emile henry ceramic flame top now and have stopped using CI all together, enameled and regular. It cooks evenly and cleans up with a sponge or an be put in the dishwasher. I wouldn't hesitate to use the LC for ONE SECOND...you own it, USE IT! If your wife doesn't like it trade her in on some more cookware, ha.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Dookie Jenkins
    Options
    IMO you'd be better off going ahead and buying a cast iron dutch oven and dedicating it to use on the Egg. It will make yur wife happy, as well. :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    at home i use my LC, at camp i use a cheap 40 dollar marshalls enameled knockoff. on the egg it makes no difference, on a simmerplate indoors, it does. 40 bucks might save you some grief, then again, if she burns the LC stove top, you can give her grief for the next 20 years :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chuck222
    Options
    All good points, thanks! I think I'm going to use it and buy some Brillo the next time I'm at the store... B)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    there is another approach where you place it in hot soapy water for a couple hours and then just wipe it clean ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it