Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rubs

skyhawk
skyhawk Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anybody know of a really good rub that is not so salty. Most are salt based & other than Billy Bones I don't know of a good rub or sauce. Just like to sample some of the pros stuff.

Mike

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Dizzy Pig makes some salt free rubs.

You could also make your own. Start with something basic and add spices and change proportions until you get it perfect for your taste. It's almost as much fun as cooking on the BGE.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    Also depends on what you are cooking.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    As mentioned, DP has a couple of salt free.

There is a brand called "India Spice and Flavor" that has a couple of masalas that are salt free, and are a good base with sugar for a BBQ rub.

I'd have to say every commercial brand rub I've used has had significant amounts of salt. If you really want to avoid or lessen salt, its pretty easy to make your own. The basic elements are (brown) sugar, paprika, salt, black pepper, and some cayenne. Then, garlic and onion powders, chili powders, mustard, cumin, and pretty much anything else in small quantities.

The only down side to making your own rubs is that it may be hard to come by good fresh spices and herbs, and typically, one must buy more than will be used before they go stale.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Even the Dizzy Pig rubs that aren't salt free are pretty low in salt compared to other commercial rubs.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Love the Dizzy Pig brand!!
  • SmokinJ
    SmokinJ Posts: 220
    I like Dizzy Pig and Texas BBQ rubs.