Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cedar Table Build

EggerFromIowaEggerFromIowa Posts: 181
edited 12:02PM in EGG Table Forum
Over Memorial Day weekend 2011, my brother and I decided to build a table.

He is also a BGE owner with a table, and he was in Iowa on vacation. We woke up Friday Morning and decided we didn't have anything better to do, so we started looking at the plans. I had the plans already printed and I was going to build a table, I just needed that extra push to actually get it done.

Started with Naked Whiz's Plans
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/tableplans/tableplans.htm

We made a few modifications, but in general followed the plans

I used Cedar for wood.
2 - 10' 4x4 (cedar)
8 - 10' 1x6 (cedar)
2 - 8' 2x4 (treated)
2 - boxes 2 1/2 exterior screws
1 - travertine paver
4 - 2 1/2" swivel caster wheels
1 qt spar urethane

Total cost $200. Plus time and labor.

We set out to the lumber yard(Mendards) at 11:30. Got back home at 1:22. Started building. Table was complete mid to late afternoon.

I didn't get an actual picture of just the frame, but rest assured, we did frame up an area under the egg with 2x4s for extra support, you just don't see it in the pictures.

Framed up
IMG00152-20110527-1427.jpg

Work in progress
IMG00153-20110527-1617.jpg

IMG00154-20110527-1634.jpg

Ready for coats
IMG00155-20110528-0638.jpg

1/2 coat
IMG00156-20110528-1124.jpg

1 coat
IMG00157-20110528-1242.jpg

5 coats
IMG00158-20110530-0844.jpg

Ready for Ribs
IMG00159-20110604-0846.jpg
·

Comments

• Wilco76Wilco76 Posts: 18
    Nice. Did you keep the framing plan for the BGE support for the lower section the same as Naked Whiz's plan?

I just got my egg and am planning a similar build. I also like the four castering wheels.

Great job!

John
    ·
  • Thanks.
    In the 2nd and 3rd picture you can sort of see what we did. I placed a 2x4 on the leg and another 20" out, then 2 more going perpendicular.

I put the EGG in Saturday so it's been holding for a few days now :).

My casters don't lock. My brother's do. I think having 2 locking casters may be the way to go. But I don't plan on moving the table much. And the deck holds it in place. I could see you having issues if you were on a patio or a cement floor of some kind.
    ·
  • dluvhogdluvhog Posts: 10
    I am going to build my own table and was thinking about using the Whiz's plans also. I also like the idea of the 4x4's for legs. You state that you use 2-10' 4x4 legs, wouldn't one 10' be enough?
    ·
  • dluvhogdluvhog Posts: 10
    Great looking table, the cedar is gourgous
    ·
  • Your right, 1-10' should be enough. For some reason we cut the legs 32" instead of 30". I'm 6'0". I wanted something in between 30 and 36. As it sits right now, the table has a height of 33 1/2 inches.

SO, if you are going to use casters then you may be ok, or if you are ok with a table height of 30" then you'll be ok.

And I have almost 10' of 4x4 left over. If I build a table with it, perhaps I can convince the wife to let me have another egg. :laugh:
    ·
  • Thanks. It's rained pretty much every day since I put the table on the deck. The urethane is getting a workout.
    ·
  • Very nice work on the table! How difficult is it to move the table with the egg in it?
    ·
  • Thanks.

I tried to move it around last night by myself. It's fairly heavy. I think the table weighs as much as the EGG or close to it.

I did notice that I now have imprints in my deck from the wheels. Not too bad, just little indentations.

If this was on a smooth patio I don't think you would have too much trouble moving it around. Especially if you had a 2nd person helping.

We get tornado like winds every once in awhile, so I guess it's a good thing the table isn't going to move easily.
    ·