Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Best BBQ in Memphis and New Orleans?

Options
Booking It
Booking It Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone!

A friend and I are leaving tomorrow morning for a road trip to New Orleans for a conference. We plan to stop in Memphis for some barbecue and hope to get some in New Orleans as well. Does anyone have any suggestions for some places to go for some barbecue (or even Cajun food) in either of those cities?

For Memphis, I've heard that Rendezvous or Central BBQ would be good bets, but I'd love to hear your opinions.

We'll be on the road, but I will definitely read this thread even if I don't reply, so thanks in advance to anyone who responds! :)

Comments

• AgDawg
    AgDawg Posts: 20
    Options
    Central BBQ gets my vote for pulled pork....Germantown Commissary for Ribs
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    AgDawg wrote:
    Central BBQ gets my vote for pulled pork....Germantown Commissary for Ribs

Take it from the Brad's - he's right! BUT, the BBQ Nachos at the Commissary are crazy good. FYI - Monday nights are all you can eat ribs at the Commissary.

I am not a Rendezvous fan, other than the atmosphere and the sausage and cheese plate, but know many who rave about it.

Voodoo BBQ in New Orleans, if it's still around, was very good in the pre-Katrina days. As for cajun/creole in NO, man that town has so much killer food it's hard to pick a couple.

Mr. B's downtown has KILLER "BBQ Shrimp" - not barbecued at all, but amazing!

Mother's for lunch - Muffaletta if you like, po boys if not

GW Fins has great fish, but then again great fish is not too hard to find
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    In New Orleans, hands down its Hillbilly BBQ located on the corner of Jefferson Hwy and Tallulah St. Kentucky style chicken, ribs, pork, brisket & sausage and great sides. Cooked with a dry rub.....award winning sauce on the side. I seldom use any sauce. Best BBQ I ever ate...most unpretentious surroundings. Nice folks. Ask for owner Larry Wyatt or his wife. Tell'im Jack sent you. Enjoy.
  • Brew'nQue
    Brew'nQue Posts: 44
    Options
    I'm not a Rendezvous fan either. I was excited to go there, but left disappointed in their ribs. Just not my style I guess..

The only time I've been to Memphis, we ate at 2 BBQ joints, "Rendezvous" and "The Pig on Beale". We stopped by the Pig on Beale for a quick lunch the first day we were in town...weren't expecting much, and as I remember it wasn't GREAT, but it ended up being better than Rendezvous in my opinion. Lots of people like Rendezvous though.

Never been to New Orleans..
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Yes, I'm a HillBilly fan myself, but the Joint does it right, too: down on Poland Avenue in the Bywater. http://www.alwayssmokin.com/
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    We were in New Orleans a couple of months ago. And with the help forum members we were given a lot of great recommendations although we stayed away from bbq. On the recommendation of Mike in Abita the one thing that stood out above everything else were the grilled oysters at Drago's. They're in the Hilton down on the river next to Harrah's. They were outstanding. I have since come very close to duplicating them on my BGE despite the fact that my shucking skills are brutal at best.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Can't tell you where to go in Memphis, but I would advise against Rendezvous. Cool atmosphere (once you get past the dumpsters in the alley), but the ribs are not good at all. Very dry. Was there only once, but that was enough. Just my 2¢.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Austin Smoker
    Options
    CBBQ wrote:
    We were in New Orleans a couple of months ago. And with the help forum members we were given a lot of great recommendations although we stayed away from bbq. On the recommendation of Mike in Abita the one thing that stood out above everything else were the grilled oysters at Drago's. They're in the Hilton down on the river next to Harrah's. They were outstanding. I have since come very close to duplicating them on my BGE despite the fact that my shucking skills are brutal at best.

Good call....one of my faves. Didn't know they had a Drago's at the Hilton now, always went to the original out in Metairie. Never had a better cooked oyster!
  • dscheyd
    dscheyd Posts: 19
    Options
    Not a lot of BBQ down here but there is some. If you're staying down town "the joint" is close. While Hillbilly BBQ is good its a good distance from the quarter.
    VooDoo is ok, but if you're looking for something thats great but isn't quite the standard go to "Cochon" or the "Butcher" directly behind it. Cochon is a nice full service restaurant, and the Butcher is more of a sandwich joint.
    Other staples downtown are
    ACME oyster
    Drago's
    Antoine's (fine dining)
    Dickie Brennan's Steak house (fine dining)
    Mothers
    Bon Ton Cafe
    Pascal's Manale (uptown, no bbq, but great atmosphere and great food. bring cash for the bar, restaurant takes plastic)
    you can also check out www.nomenu.com. The guys kind of a doof, but it lists and rates all the restaurants around by neighborhood.
    Have a great time and remember my 3 simple rules
    1. Limit yourself to two hurricanes
    2. never assume the car will stop when you enter the crosswalk
    3. do whatever the nice policeman asks.
  • platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    Options
    Hey Brad, curious if you had a chance to try Franklin BBQ at 11th and IH35 in Austin. His moist brisket is the best I have ever had, period. Bon Appetit magazine just rated him the best BBQ in America, so now it's a 1.5 - 2 hour wait. But worth it!

Ted
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    My list for Memphis:

1. Morris Grocery
    2. Brads
    3. Central

These are for pulled pork. They can't compete with my ribs so why try them. ;)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I know I am late to the party,but,for what it's worth.....The BBQ Shoppe,Interstate,Central in Mempho.If I was in NOLA,Q would be the FARTHEST thing from my mind.Too much UNIQUE stuff to eat there that can only be be found there to fool with Q. ;)
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    I went once Ted and it must have been an off day, was really disappointed after all the hype. Sausage was very good and the variety of sauces were all good too. But the brisket was dry and lacked flavor. I'll try it again for sure.

platypusrex wrote:
    Hey Brad, curious if you had a chance to try Franklin BBQ at 11th and IH35 in Austin. His moist brisket is the best I have ever had, period. Bon Appetit magazine just rated him the best BBQ in America, so now it's a 1.5 - 2 hour wait. But worth it!

Ted
  • Mr. D
    Mr. D Posts: 32
    Options
    BBQ is not one of the Big Easy thing. Go for Po-Boy sandwiches. ( Roast Beef is super )