Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our first contest....and we used an Egg!

Fornia
Fornia Posts: 451
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As some of you know I've been in the process of putting together a compeition bbq team for about the last 9 months. Doing things on a limited budget, along with a lifelong friend, we finally purchased an enclosed trailer and could get out on the road.

I have not posted or been on this or many forums much in the last few months. Honestly, it's been family, work, and then bbq.

Oh....Quite a good bit of planning, research, watching, listening, helping, practicing...and then practicing some more.

Much of this preparation came through help and encouragment from people on this fourm.

Cooknbiker and HornHonk have offered much of this...through emails and phone conversations. I know Steve and I have talked pork butts, and briskets quite a few times at length. He's also talked me through some brisket attempts as well. Just another good story about the good people on this forum.

Also MadMax, lowercasebill, and FatMike have all been great to chat with about their own competition experiences.

We entered our first contest this past weekend, in Hamburg, PA. The 1st annual Smokin Kobys / Cabela's Contest. It was not sanctioned, but assisted by the Mid-Atlantic BBQ Assoc., and did feature some KCBS Judges and local celebs (Tampa Bay TE John Gilmore as one for the football folks).

Of 23 teams, there were first-timers (like us) to teams who've been doing it for 10+ years...and then everything in between. A good casual event at the 'monster' Cabela's store here, with chicken, pork ribs, and brisket as the categories.

We've been using the Tasty Licks BBQ line via help from Fred, and used his products on each of our entries.

Cooked out chicken on the Egg and brisket and ribs in our 2 drum smokers we built a few months back.

As it turns out, we ended up taking 2nd in chicken, 5th in ribs, and 2nd in brisket (Thanks Steve!). That was all good enough for Reserve Grand Champs as well.

Damn....still shakin my head as I type that.

Believe me, I know next time out it could be last. But, whew...it wasn't this time out. We enjoyed the whole moment with close family and friends (due to being local). Now they (and us in all honesty) see that good things can in fact happen with some good help, hard work and passion to get it done. I hope that anyone who reads this might also find that satisfaction in giving whatever you want an honest run!

IMG_3407.jpg
IMG_3409.jpg
IMG_3408.jpg
IMG_3443.jpg

Comments