Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Thermometers

Options
PaulShoe2
PaulShoe2 Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my medium Egg for a year now and have been experimenting with it nearly every weekend since acquiring it. The most frustrating aspect of using the Egg has been accurate temperature guages.

A Rochester, NY Egg dealer (Mileage Master) has been working with a local thermometer manufacturer to develop a thru-dome, analog thermometer with recent great success!

Tel Tru Manufacturing is making (in the USA) a very accurate thermometer for the Egg which includes a retaining clip. The face has the Egg logo printed on it so, I suspect, the thermometer is being offered to all BGE dealers.

I now know why I destroyed several good cuts of meat.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Many of us use Tel-Tru. Now, they come with eggs.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PaulShoe2
    Options
    Well, my Egg came with a lousy thermometer. The Tel Tru I purchased a few weeks ago rocks!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Carolina Q wrote:
    Many of us use Tel-Tru. Now, they come with eggs.
    Yes, I got a Tel-Tru with my large a few weeks ago. :)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    My 3 year old crappy BGE thermometer still comes pretty close to my BBQ guru probe even after 2 Hoss style cleanings. The second cleaning did my lousy 3 year old gasket in. Now I'm sporting a bright white nomex :)
  • PaulShoe2
    Options
    My original BGE thermometer has been stuck on 200 degrees for several weeks. Hence, the new thermometer.

What is a "Hoss Style Cleaning"?
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    TelTru has made thermometers that are intended for the BGE for a long time. I think BGE just finally got them to logo it for them. They are good thermometers and I've never had one go kerflooey, unlike all the original BGE thermometers.
    The Naked Whiz
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    Got my egg middle of may this year, sheet said mfg was dec of 10 and it had a tel tru thermometer with it. I checked it's accuracy and it was dead on.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Egglectic
    Egglectic Posts: 95
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • apollo140140
    Options
    Tel tru is now the standard thermo that comes with all new eggs
  • Egglectic
    Egglectic Posts: 95
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • Brimo
    Brimo Posts: 53
    Options
    I have a new large purchased back in April with the Tel-Tru. Got a Thermopen last week and thought I would compare the two in boiling water. Thermopen was dead on, but had to recalibrate the Tel-Tru by about 35 degrees. I would still recommend checking the Tel-Tru calibration.