Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Worst BBQ in San Diego,Rave Review in AAA Magazine

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm so disgusted! I've posted before about this insanely popular BBQ restaurant that has awful meat, heavily sauced with an overpowering sauce.

Here's the raving review. I wonder how much they paid him. I have personally gone there to recheck, had the pulled pork and tri-tip sandwiches (threw most of it away), and the ribs. All get an F grade. Yet there are lines at the door.

http://www.calif.aaa.com/westways/2011-07-08/Pages/bon-appetit-phils-bbq.aspx

Tossers. (Got that from the Doc Martin Brit series, use it all the time.)
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• fullysideways
    Options
    You know I love California and have lived here most of my life but I must say, most Californians don't really know good low and slow barbecue. The midwest also has better corn, that yellow and white mixed sweet corn just can't be beat. I like almost everything else better here in California.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    What do you expect, Judy? When you see lists all of the places to go for good Q, have you EVER seen California on one? KC, Memphis, TX, NC. That's about it. Californians have no idea. :) Same with pizza. :laugh: Eggers excepted of course. hahaha

Btw, link doesn't work. Goes to some generic AAA page asking for a zip code so I can find my local AAA.

How u dooin'? Well, I hope.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    It's funny in a way how the lemmings with no idea/clue about real barbecue throw themselves off the cliff into the oblivion of marketing.

It's almost as if only the "egglightened" truly get it.

A buddy of mine always bitches because I rarely go to BBQ joints with him... my response? "Why would I pay someone else to make food that I can make better myself?"

To which he always retorts... "open up your own restaurant!!!"

hah.
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Link goes to some generic AAA site with no BBQ review?
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Aw Judy... California does have some great BBQ, but it's sometimes overshadowed by grilling, especially the Santa Maria style. It's one of my favorites. Try and hook up with some of that from a smaller vendor.

If you're still in SD, get in touch with some fish tacos. Rubio's is the most popular grill, but they can be had all over town, including the taco trucks.

Let me know on the fit on the other thing....
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Michael said the link doesn't work. Here's the review:

Phil’s BBQ
    579 Grand Avenue, San Marcos; 1-760-759-1400
    By David Nelson | Photos by Eric Van Eyke
    Westways July/August 2011

(Clockwise from left) Phil’s BBQ recently opened an outpost in San Marcos, so North County residents can partake of the rib dinners, beers on tap, and BBQ Broham sandwiches without having to make a 70-mile round-trip.

Setting: Busy and often noisy; oriented to quick dining; so popular that lines are common 
Service: Order at counters staffed by efficient, friendly folks 
Best dishes: BBQ Broham (pulled pork shoulder) sandwich; El Toro tri-tip sandwich; baby back ribs; onion rings; sweet baked beans 
Dinner prices: Sandwiches and entrées, $5–$20 side dishes, $1.50–$6

On Mondays, a once-a-week calm descends on a San Marcos shopping center at the intersection of Grand Avenue and San Marcos Boulevard. Birds tweet and parking is plentiful. The rest of the week, the place jumps from 11 a.m. until around 10 p.m., when fans of classic all-American barbecue line up at Phil’s.
    It isn’t that lines make Phil’s BBQ, and they aren’t present all the time. But Phil’s wouldn’t seem the same without jovial queues of patient people focused on the same prize: barbecued meats and ribs so succulent that the original Phil’s in San Diego enjoys a national reputation. In the spacious, family-friendly main dining room, guests place and retrieve orders at counters. Those who eat on an enclosed patio breathtakingly near the elevated freeway must feel like they’re dining at 70 mph.

By opening in San Marcos, Phil’s saves North County aficionados a 70-mile round-trip whenever they crave specialties like the BBQ Broham. Staffers build Brohams by piling tart cole slaw on the lower bun (request it on the side for a less messy experience), then adding a mound of about a half-pound of tender, chewy, highly seasoned pulled pork, slightly crisped on a charcoal grill and spread with the restaurant’s own tangy barbecue sauce. Perched atop this construction, the upper half of the bun resembles an edible toy.

The same is true of the El Toro, an enormous sandwich of thinly sliced tri-tip full of deep, savory flavors. Ribs, both beef and pork baby backs, enjoy equally immense popularity, thanks to expert preparation and Phil’s secret-recipe sauce. Options extend to barbecue chicken dinners and “Tickler” plates of a few ribs or boneless chicken chunks with onion rings, cole slaw, and freshly cut french fries.

Phil’s sides measure up: cooked-to-order batter-coated “colossal” onion rings that can’t quite double as spare tires, baked beans that taste of molasses, creamy macaroni salad, and fresh corn on the cob. Use of the washing-up station is on Phil’s.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Wayne, I sent you a long email last weekend to your business email address. If you can't find it let me know. Yes, I had a problem.
    Judy in San Diego
  • palajoe
    palajoe Posts: 5
    Options
    @Rezen: I feel the same way about steaks. Why would I pay $50 or more for a great steak, when I can make an equally or better tasting steak, with my selection of sides, my selection of beverages, etc, at home?

Plus, don't have to get dressed up, and my best buddy (8 yr old GSD) is always welcome!
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    Options
    Why did you go back? They have lines out the door, some folks like what they are doing. Would you change if your business was successful? McDonalds has become what they are today serving below average food, but I don't think they will change anytime soon.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Judy I tried the BBQ when I was working in SD and I thought it was way overrated! I can create better product off the egg and enjoy it at home.They have got to the point of having to mass produce and the quality has suffered.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE