Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Maximum Buttage!!!

Options
Ozarkshooter
Ozarkshooter Posts: 65
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried searching for my answer and can't quite find what I need. I know I've seen pictures in the past.

What I need are pictures of how to maximize the number of butts I put on my XL. I will be cooking seven 7 pounders - which I have got to think is possible.

I am cooking tomorrow night, so parts need to be found locally - I don't have time to order online.

Looked at getting a Weber 21.5" replacement grid and using 6" bolts to elevate it to make a second level. Four on bottom, plus three on top. But, with the height of the platesetter, plus two levels of butts, it doesn't look like I have room in the dome.

If I remove the fire ring to get lower in the dome, then I don't think my platesetter fits inside the egg - the base of the egg seems to taper down to a point that the platesetter won't fit.

HELP! I'm sure its been done.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I did (4) 7 - 8lb butts like this: Platesetter, regular grid and raised grid on top. (Thats a disposable foil pizza pan on the PS.
    IMG_2710.jpg
    I had to be careful with the butts not hitting the thermometer or the sides.
    (3) legs is what you need for the raised grid
    I think mine was made with 4.5" carriage bolts. 6" will get you too high in the dome. I remember noticing that as you get higher in the dome, you need a smaller diameter grid. mine is a weber 18.5" replacement.

Another way you can cook 4 at a time (on a LBGE)is to stand them up on the grid. I was not confident enough to try that.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I have had my platesetter on the firebox a few times.

I would:

1) Load up the lump with smoking wood scattered throught the lump
    2) Stabilize at 250 with platesetter in and wrapped in HDAF
    3) Go with the legs down on the platesetter so you can use the extra space for additional lump beyond the top of the firebox
    4) Use some foil wads or 3/4" copper elbows for spacers between a drip pan and the platesetter
    5) Support the first grid by laying it on the drip pan
    6) Support the second grid with nuts and bolts sized such that there will be enough space between the grids for the butts on the lower level

Pics of a similar (but different) set up for 12 racks

No fire ring
    IMG_4362800x600.jpg

Platesetter legs down
    IMG_4363800x600.jpg

First grid supported on drip pan
    IMG_4364800x600.jpg

Ecetera
    IMG_4373800x600.jpg

Good luck with it
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I've done 6 butts on my XL a few times with no special equiptment.I put 5 butts on the bottom then a small grid(no bolts),and put # 6 butt on top.You could easily fit another butt on top :) I use an 18" pizza pan for a drip tray ;)

DSC_0031-6.jpg

DSC_0044-5.jpg

DSC_0047-1.jpg
  • Ozarkshooter
    Options
    Thanks for the great pictures!!!

After seeing these, I got some bolts and a grid at Lowe's (similar to Flashback Bob's setup). I turned the platesetter to sit down in the notches in the fire ring to give me another inch or so. I did a dry run on setup last night (real cook happens tonight) - looks like it will work. Smaller butts will have to go on top. I will get four on the main lower grid and three on the top.

Only problem I had: I cannot remove the fire ring and set the platesetter directly on the fire box - similar to Frank's pictures. I've seen pictures where others have done it, but mine won't fit - must have used another size BGE that doesn't taper down like mine.