Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers Here And There

Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Hi All, this is an eggsperiment. I just posted this over on Bobby-Q's new forum in response to a post over there and was not terribly happy not to share it over here as well. I went into my post over there and just copied it from the edit window, brought it over here and did a paste in the edit window here and have done some minor editing. It looks like it will work fine.

I hope to egg more burgers this summer, steak is getting to pricey down here. Here are the first burgers I have done in a long time.

5.5# 80/20 ground chuck
5# Vidalia onions 2 reserved
2# mushrooms
1 t each sea salt & black pepper
1 T granulated garlic
4 t Herbs de Provence
cheese

I caramelized the onions and sautéed the mushrooms till golden. The two reserved onions I chopped fine and added all to the hamburger, herbs and spices. Mixed well. I then weighed the mix into .25-.27# lumps and shaped into rather thin patties. I warmed the cheese, a Mexican mix from Publix that was shredded, slightly so I could shape it into disks to place between the patties. I figured it may be neater and easier to fit them together this way.
DSCN8158A_640.jpg

I believe I ended up with about 12 or 14 big patties after they were reshaped.
DSCN8160A_640.jpg

They are popping with mushrooms . . .
DSCN8171A_640.jpg

. . . and onions but were breaking up on me.
DSCN8172A_640.jpg

Pfft!! Let 'em break! They were tender, juicy and have good flavor. I can't eat the buns so I had them dressed in a little catsup. I had a couple for dinner and foodsavered the rest. They are in the freezer waiting for the right moment to commit themselves to the egg.

I guess my posts can be in two places at the same time!!! :laugh:

Have a great week All,

Blair

Comments

• Those look great! How about some grilled Gator from "Gator Bait" !?
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Grillin & Chillin :)

Hahahahaha, to tell the truth, the only time I have eaten gator I was not impressed. It was sort of like chicken!

Actually I though chicken had more flavor. Frog legs never impressed me either, I guess the reptiles and amphibians are safe when I'm around. I fail to understand keeping them as pets also. What good are they if they can't retrieve a stick or tennis ball or keep your feet warm on a cold winters night? :laugh:

Blair

• Le Oeuf Vert
    Le Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    The burgers look like they came out perfect. The last 2 pictures are very tasty looking.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Nice looking burgers Blair. I am not a bun eater either, but by choice.. I would be happy to have those in my freezer!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Um, Um Good.
    I Know what you mean about rising cost. Right now this drought here is starting to force the ranchers to slaughter their young cattle sooner than they want. The short term result is cheap young beef, but the long term will be much higher prices. My husbands family (that still run cattle) have had to reduce their herds by half just the have enough pasture to support what is left.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Those look great Blair....if you dig shrooms. :whistle:
    I'd eat around them though. :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Very nice Blair!

Wimpy would be proud of you! :laugh:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Those look great. Who needs buns!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Gator Bait

Thanks Mark, they are good. I hope summer has made it to Newton, I grew up in Walpole. Way to cold for half the year. :lol:

Blair

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Great lookin burgers Blair. :P

Gotta love the food saver for sealing up the goodness until we are ready. I recently smoked some spare ribs and food savered them.
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Julie, I could have eaten the caramelized onions and mushrooms all by them selves. My budget is such that all my meat comes from Sam's or it is to expensive so when I buy hamburg it is in quantity. My freezer gets a good work out. :)

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thanks Joan, sorry to hear the drought is still so bad. When I was a kid my Dad kept about a dozen Angus and I grew up helping take care of them. Many of my chores involved feeding or shoveling something. We were lucky and our biggest concern was having a freezer large enough. I hope your summer rains start soon, down here we have to be careful what we wish for. We are always dry this time of year and can have a real fire season. The wildlife around my house is very dependent on my filling the pans of water I put out. The birds will watch me fill them with fresh water and are in for a bath and a drink before I have hardly walked away. Often I will have to fill them twice a day.

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thanks Molly, sorry you feel about shrooms the way I do about bell peppers! Shrooms are like manna from heaven to me, I like them as much as meat. Bell peppers on the other hand have never agreed with me, even the smell of them cooking. The aroma of stuffed bell peppers will give me night mares, I wish it was other wise. ;)

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thanks loco, Wimpy would eat me out of house and home! :laugh:

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thanks Jason, No buns for this boy! I had to give them up years ago when I had three major heart attacks from undiagnosed diabetes. I had just turned 45 and it was a rude awakening. I would love to have a lightly toasted bun, well buttered, to hold all sorts of goodies. Now I am just delighted to be here with my friends on this great forum. Going bunless isn't so bad after all. :cheer:

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thanks Tim, I agree, the FoodSaver is wonderful. I am single and like to buy meats in bulk when I can to help my budget so the FoodSaver is worth it's weight in gold.

Blair

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Yea, but Wimpy always said " I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today". :laugh:
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Gator Bait

LOL, Ya but he lacked sincerity when he would say it! I love watching cartoons when I was a kid and heard that line a million times. Not once did I think that his situation was going to improve between then and Tuesday yet I could never fault him for wanting a burger either. :laugh:

Blair

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    <
    Burgers sure look good Blair.

Kent
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    WOW!!!!!!!!11
    my kind of burgers!!!
    Monster ones!!!
    they look awesome!!!
    a must try!!!
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Burgers look great Blair
    Love the shrooms popping out all over :)

Shane
  • Mushroom burgers!!!
    Yummy :woohoo:

btw, we used your #1 rub on the brisket this weekend and sure tasted good B)
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Kent, I hope you are well these days and have enough grand kids to keep you out of trouble. :)

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thank Lobicho, I think I cooked these on a raised grate, direct at about 350º and they cooked up pretty fast. My Dad loved a big burger so I guess I come by it honestly. :cheer:

Blair

• Gator Bait

Thanks Shane, I love the caramelized onions and the sautéed shrooms! I cook them in plenty of real butter and add all the melted butter and juices to the hamburg mix, nothing goes to waste and everything adds flavor. About the only thing that I may have added would have been a pound of bacon precooked and added to the mix. :P

Blair

• Gator Bait

Tanks Kari, burgers are nice for a change. It has been a while since I made any. My rub is mild and generic, here is what went into it including my notes . . .

My Rub #1

1/2 C paprika
    1/8 C fine Sea salt
    2 C Drk. Brown Sugar
    2 T Dry Mustard
    1/4 C Chilli powder
    1/4 C Cumin
    2 T Blk. Pepper
    2 T Garlic powder
    2 T Onion powder
    1 t Cayenne pepper
    2 T Nutmeg
    1 T Cinnamon

All measurements are approximate, I have a generous hand. Cayenne pepper is very close to true. ;)

Blair

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Absolutely awesome burgers! Thanks for posting "over here".... :)
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Elizabeth, not many things better then a good burger and it's my pleasure to post "over here". This forum is home! Family is here. It will be fun to watch the new forum and to participate, I hope it is a success but this is where I like to come and put my feet up and relax. This is where I have come to find my friends for more then 2 years. :)

Blair