Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Forbidden Rice aka Black Rice

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I happen to love rice and if it weren't for my will power I'd have rice with nearly every meal!...there I admitted I'm a Rice-a-holic! One of my favorite sources has become this company Lotus Foods and one of my favorite rices is Forbidden Rice. It is truly rice and is black - not the grass passed off to consumers as "wild rice". Even the color makes for an interesting plating presentation alternative.

So happens they are having a sale on it and other rices - so you might want to take a look if you live somewhere like I do and there is only limited oriental food choices available.

http://www.lotusfoods.com/Organic-Forbidden-Rice/p/LOT-10260&c=LotusFoods@Organic?utm_source=newslet

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 383
    Options
    I love it too, I could have it every night also. I do like the grass seed but lately Ive been getting into forbidden rice. I get it up here from a bulk food place for 4.50 lb. I really don't know what dish would show it off though.
  • RRP
    Options
    what I meant was a dollop of black rice instead of white rice on a plate of colored vegetables and a red meat etc. One time I ended up with left over black rice and corn and mixed the two. Not only did that make a "different" looking side dish it was a surprisingly tasty blend of two different foods.
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Thanks for the link. Really interesting store. I wasn't aware of some of the different types that they carry.
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks - I just bought a bag of their Jasmine, but haven't tried it yet. Funny thing is I never even tasted rice until I was like 30 years old, thinking I hated it for some unknown reason! OTOH I was also that way about spinach too which I love now OTOH I still have an aversion to apple sauce :sick: and tapioca :sick: !
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Love the black forbidden rice. Here is a dish I do sometimes for groups and the forbidden rice is a great substitute for the wild grass seed I have been using.

Salad, Rice, White/Wild, First Communion, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/2 Cups Wild Rice, Uncooked
    1 Cup Jasmine Rice, Uncooked
    1 Whole Fresh Mangoes
    1 Pkg. Golden Raisins or 2 cans Mandarin Oranges, chopped
    1 Pkg. Dried Cranberries
    3/4 Cup Coarsely Chopped Pecans
    2-3 Bunches Scallions, Green Tops Chopped
    Dressing:
    Raspberry Vinegar
    Molasses
    Soy Sauce
    EVOO

Procedure:
    1 Cook each rice separately, cool and mix. Best done day before.
    2 Mix all ingredients except dressing.
    3 Mix dressing separately until desired flavor is obtained, about 1 1/2 cups total. Pour over ingredients and stir slowly. Chill.

Yield: 1 Gallon Ziploc

Recipe Type
    Salad, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2009/05/03
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks! That looks delicious! I gotta try that so it's printed off!