Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jalapeno Poppers

Options
apollo140140
apollo140140 Posts: 74
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried to make the Jalapeno Poppers that are seen on the BGE Dvd that comes with the egg. They were easy enough to make, but I cooked them indirect with the BGE Plate Setter, and the bacon grease dripped onto the Plate setter and then started on fire.

This burned all the poppers and then caused my gasket to fall off, and also burn up.

Any suggestions on how to avoid this in the future.

Comments

• Neil Gunn
    Neil Gunn Posts: 93
    Options
    Use a drip pan.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    i just use hdaf (heavy duty aluminum foil) and make a home made drip pan roll it up and throw away.

yea, i have a $1000 grill, and wont buy a $2 aluminum drip pan.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Yep, lower temp and use a drip pan covered with foil.
    Did you make poppers or ABTs?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • clearwater egghead
    Options
    I would agree with the others and go down to 325 and use a drip pan
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I cook mine direct, problem solved.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Are you talking about "ABT's" or jalapeno poppers, which by my definition poppers are breaded...I honestly haven't watched that DVD in a long time...but did the dvd recommend cooking over a plate setter with no drip or other protection.....if I cook anything that may drip grease over my plate setter I cover it with foil at least, the thing is porous and it will take you a good hour to burn all that grease off the next time you want to use it..
  • Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    Options
    I always use a drip pan but think some crinkled tin foil on the plate setter would work, and be cheaper than actual tin pans. I love me some poppers! My definition of a popper is any cheese filled pepper.and I like the slow smoked flavor of indirect cook.
  • davehemp
    davehemp Posts: 109
    Options
    You didn't say how high of fire you had...it sounds like you had the bottom vent wide open and daisy wheel the same...I did ABT's tonight direct, 2" raised grid, at 325-350 dome - lots of dripping bacon grease but no flames, and I've done them with platesetter naked(no foil B) ) at 350-375 with no flame-ups ever.
    Most of us that have ever cooked a nice pizza pie feel your pain about the melted gasket - but you shouldn't be causing that kind of damage with ABT's...
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    :laugh:
    I use a $2 drip pan for the shape but line it with foil and then only toss the foil. :whistle:

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Hi Faith,
    I have never tried mine direct, did you use a raised grid???

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    now theres a plan
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• apollo140140
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions. Cooked them at just over 400 hundred the first time. So probably a little hot.

Not sure if they were poppers or ABT's I guess.

Jalapeno's gutted and cut in half then filled with cream cheese and taco meat mixture and wrapped in bacon.