Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cornish Hens

Options
ArizonaBGEguy
ArizonaBGEguy Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to give this a whirl tonight.. forgot where I got the original post on the subject of Hens so I apologize about no shout out.

Cornish Hen

Ingredients
2 24 oz cornish hens + rub

Instructions
Thaw birds. Mix all other ingredients and marinade chicken for 1-2 hours. Bake at 350 for about an hour, basting and flipping the birds. When juices run clear, done. Serve w/ rice pilaf.

Spatchcock The Birds
Take the birds out and discard the brine. Remove the spine by using kitchen shears to cut just to one side of the spine, starting at the chickens arse and repeat on the other side. Discard the spine. Break the birds breast by putting your thumbs on the breast bone (external side) and bending the bird backwards. The birds will now lay flat (butterflied).

Season The Birds
Season both sides of the birds with poultry seasoning and pepper.

Grill the Birds
Place the birds under a bright light and ask it where it was last Thursday night....oh wait. I mean, place the butterflied birds flat, boneside down, on a medium high grill. (If you like crispy skin spritz the outside with olive oil spray). Grill them until the backsides are crispy brown or carmelized (nice word for almost burnt in some spots). This should take about 30 minutes but I go by the color. Flip the birds and grill until the front sides are golden brown. Flip them back over and grill until the hens reach an internal temp of 165 degrees in the deep part of the thighs. (If you don't have an internal thermometer, it is when the leg and thigh give you a nice limp handshake or move easily.)

Season the Birds....Again
Baste both sides of the bird with lemon juice and then season with the Rendevous dry rub (you can order it online, but in a pinch you could use Emerils Essence or any poultry dry rub). Remove from grill and let the birds rest for 5 minutes. Cut each bird in half at the breast bone (or what is left of it) and serve.

Comments

• Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Looking forward to some pic's of your cook, sounds good. I have cooked a couple hen's the same as I do Pork Butt's with my V-Rack.

IMG_1168.JPG?psid=1
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No flies on those birds ;)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Pay real close attention to what ArizonaBGEguy says....that's spatchcoking and it works beautifully with Game Hens. His pics and his method is spot on.
    Try it, you'll love it.

:cheer: :cheer:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Oooops, not his pics, but do follow his directions......... :whistle:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Sounds great. Can't wait to see pics.

I think you missed a step. Take spines and vacuum seal/place in a zip lock bag. Place in freezer for the next time you make chicken stock. At least, that's what I'd do.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• ArizonaBGEguy
    Options
    Tasty!

So good in fact that I didn't have time to take a picture. They were off the egg and on a plate before I could stop my wife/kids.. As a new BGE cook, i am finding this to be common.. : )

COoked in 45 minutes at 350. Quick and easy meal. Next time will brine them overnight, which will speed up thawing..