Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Andouille in Canada eh?

Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was at the butchers on Saturday and my wife had asked me to pick up some stuff for a gift basket for her Dad for Fathers Day. Never had visited the cold meat and cheese area and he has shelves with sauces, rubs and pickled stuff etc. I look in the cold case and see a stack of sausage links and the sign says andouille. I picked up a bunch and it is as good as any I have had in NOLA. :woohoo:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Lucky bastich!!! Nothing like that I've found here.

Doug
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    i just stick with the chourico :whistle: :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JudyFoodie
    JudyFoodie Posts: 124
    Steve,

Have you ever tried the andouille at the Sausage King at the St Lawrence? I haven't but was wondering how it would compare to the real thing since I've never tried it before. By the way I was meaning to write earlier and let you know what a privilege it was to cook along side of you at the TO eggfest. You are right, that day was kind of crazy we never got a chance to chat. I have some pics I never got to post and since this forum moves so quickly, it seems moot to post now. Say hi to Norma for me.

Judy
  • Little Steven
    Yes Judy, It was a great day. You made yourself a little busy with nine different dishes ;) Sorry we didn't get more time to talk especially when when we were standing three feet away from each other most of the day.

I have looked everywhere for andouille for years. I even talked to the owner of Sammy's New Orleans restaurant in Mimico and went up to his supplier and couldn't get close to the right flavour.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Good andouille is an indispensable part of my kitchen. Buy a bunch and stick it in the freezer...it keeps for a good long time.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Hey Steve
    Going to have to pay a visit to your butcher :)

Shane
  • jimi1234
    jimi1234 Posts: 101
    Hey Steve,

Where is your butcher? I have looked around to no avail. I was in Kensington one time and the person looked at me like I was an alien when I asked.

Also curious to hear a review of Sausage King's andouille.
  • Little Steven
    Jimi,

You can count high for a Canuck :laugh: The sausage king doesn't make it. Simon's smokke house in Brampton does but the flavour is all wrong. This is Dave the Butcher in Orangeville. He is also an egg dealer BTW. I'm heading out to the New Hampshire fest in the morning but if you e-mail me next week I will pick some up for you if Orangeville is a hike.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Shane,

I don't live far from the butcher so when you ride out here I'll take you over there.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    I'll have some when you are here next. I have made it a few times but never got the smoking right. Didn't cure though.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    fishlessman,

Different but equally enjoyable. Are you going to NH. I'll pick you up some Peri-Peri if you are.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    wont be going, was thinking about going this year but abe gets a pericardial tap tomorrow night to remove fluid from around the heart. going to be watching him close for the next few days. the dogs not getting any breaks this year, first the kidneys, now heart, looks like the liver is enlarging as well. this may be his last vet visit.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    sorry to hear about the dog. Breaks my heart. Mine just hit 9 yrs old, and anything over 10 for a golden is bonus....I don't even like to think about it.

Wish I was making the fest, but off to Yosemite instead...couldn't pass up the trip.
  • jimi1234
    jimi1234 Posts: 101
    Hey Steve,

Orangeville is a bit of a hike (I'm in the Beaches), but I am in the Brampton area on occasion so next time I will just make the trip north from there and load up on some to put in the freezer.

Thanks!
    Jimi