Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Photos - Father\'s Day Wings

Options
TNT54
TNT54 Posts: 40
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally remembered to get the camera out for a cook, in this case, Father’s Day Wings.

Dry rubbed and basted lightly a couple of times while grilling. Indirect at 250-275 for 1.5 hrs or so. Finished with BBQ sauce for a few minutes at the end.

Just before mopping with sauce:

WingsJune2011.jpg?t=1308582871

The finished product:

Wingsinbowl-1.jpg?t=1308659815

Cheers,

T.

Comments

• transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    Look great to me and nice job on the pics.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nice job on the wings.
    I like direct at 400 on a raised grill and only about 35 min's. If you need faster some time try this...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• windnsea26
    windnsea26 Posts: 159
    Options
    Is that a grate you bought or made yourself?
    San Diego, CA
  • TNT54
    Options
    It's a FrogMat. Makes handling small pieces like shrimp and wings so much easier. The 18" round size is perfect for a LBGE, and I got this one from yardandpool.com for about $25, delivered. I hope I'm not violating a forum rule by posting that.
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    yum yum
    great job...
    you gotta love the wings!!!
  • TNT54
    Options
    Mickey - Thanks for the comment. I don't have a good way to raise my grate on direct cooks yet, but the main reason I did the indirect cook was to see if there was a difference from the wings I've always cooked on standard charcoal grills. I must say, the finished product wasn't really any better or worse, but the indirect cook gave me more freedom from having to keep an eye on them. Any decent grill cook can make good/great wings on a Weber kettle with a little care, so, to me, the main benefits of cooking wings on the Egg is being able to keep the temp constant without babysitting.

It was nice for this cook to be able to cook at a lower temp so that I could leave them for an hour or so. The trade off, of course, was the longer wait for dinner. But it's nice to know that the direct higher temp option will work on a weekday evening when I have less time.

Cheers,

T.