Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4th of July announcement

Options
Bobby-Q
Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Head on over to my new forum http://forum.chefcresap.com for the details.

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Bobby, I registered for your site, but cannot use the forum. Do you need a separate name to use the forum?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    On the Express sign up page, the Register button at the bottom is grayed out. I put a name in the User ID box, because I didn't want the one that automatically popped up in the box, and this appeared in red: Letters, numbers and underscore only.

Am I doing something wrong?
    Judy in San Diego
  • Bobby-Q
    Options
    You have to use Gmail, yahoo, Facebook, or twitter to log into the forum. We're working on a more traditional registration but this is the new way of webbing.
  • Bobby-Q
    Options
    Were you on the forum page from the link I posted or on my main site?
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    I did it from your website the day you posted the announcement last week, and from your post today. Same result.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    I just went back and tried again. I tried Google and then Facebook. Then I tried Yahoo, and Register went black. BUT...using Yahoo, the page said "Facebook account verified." I did go further at this point.

I don't want the names that appear in the ID box and tried to enter a different name. Is that the reason I can't register?
    Judy in San Diego
  • Bobby-Q
    Options
    Can you do me a favor and click on the help link from the forum. A Gentleman name Mike Wilt will help you out. He supports my forum.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Still not working completely. I read the "help", then clicked on the FB icon to register. It opened a page with "Facebook Connect" and then it just sat there. No further options or action.
  • Kew_el_steve
    Kew_el_steve Posts: 354
    Options
    Is it me...or does this sound VERY COMPLICATED??? :sick::angry:
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    Kew_el_steve wrote:
    Is it me...or does this sound VERY COMPLICATED??? :sick::angry:

....but,but,...this is the new way of webbing....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Why not just post on our forum?
    This is a good forum with very good people on it. Do not understand why you would want to pull people off this forum?
    Would money come into play?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Bobby-Q
    Options
    Hi Mickey,

Not trying to "pull" anyone off of this forum. My forum is set up for the people that will want to use it and granted, a lot of them, do hang out here on occasion. I posted the details there because that is where they belong. I posted over here to let folks know that the info was over there.

I got a good chuckle out of your comment about money coming into play. I needed that.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Hey Mickey,
    I understand your feelings. I don't think Bobby's forum will take away from this forum.
    Might also meet some new BBQ people that are not Eggers and make some new friends.
    On the other hand competition is good and it forces people to improve.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Bobby-Q
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't implying that this was the new way of webbing for everyone, it is just the way the internet has gone now. The way the internet works is, a change is made by the largest group of developers to a better or easier way (for the cutting edge people). The folks that are up on the current things start using it right away and over the next few years it trickles down until even the most simplest of users will start to see it, understand it and use it.

When you start to develop a commercial site you will find that you spend a tremendous amount of time trying to decide how current to make your site and how simple to make it versus how much functionality you need or want to have.

Having said all that, I am not a fan of the new way of doing things and was certain that a lot of the people that use the forum would have some difficulties. The developer of that forum is working very hard to make a more traditional log in system which should be in place very shortly.

I realize that you may not give it a second chance, and I understand.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    please post when you get the other more tradtional loggins. :) i dont even know what those other terms are, just started using a computer a few years back and am already set in my ways :laugh: im still using aol
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    I am a programmer/developer by trade, and I will still wait for the more traditional setup, as I loathe having forums linked to my personal details, such as Facebook, Gmail (required by my Android phone), etc.

I prefer to remain generally anonymous in forums, until I opt to share certain choice details with specific people. Having me "out there" by default, is unnerving.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Bobby-Q
    Options
    I agree completely. The gentleman that created and runs the forum platform likes the login system because it is clean and easy. I talked to him at the beginning about creating a regular log in and we agreed to try it for a couple of weeks. After the first day he started to work on the traditional log in method...lol.

My hope now is that it can be tied to my exisiting log in DB for the main site...he's gonna work on that.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Hi Judy.
    This might not be your answer but you can not use blank spaces for your user name. You can use"_" (underscore)

Ex: JudyMayberry or Judy_Mayberry

I had to take the blank space out of mine.

Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Darian, we are on the same wavelength! I got in touch with Mike Witt, and he gave me directions. Then I realized I'd been looking at it wrong, and sent him this response at 2 AM this morning:

"On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 2:37 AM, Judith Mayberry wrote:
    Thank you, Mike.

It looks like the problem might be that I had a space between "Holy" and
    "Smoke," and it required an underscore so there would be no spaces. It makes
    sense if you take "Letters, numbers and underscore only" literally. Which I
    didn't...it never entered my head.

Judy"

You're right on the money!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Braumiester
    Braumiester Posts: 134
    Options
    I too will wait for the traditional setup for registering as I do not use social sites.
  • Bobby-Q
    Options
    You could also set up a g-mail e-mail or a yahoo e-mail and use either of them.

G-mail is super simple to set up and you don't have to give them any real information if you wish.

The traditional log in is coming though.