Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef sausage blind test

Options
Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hit the road yesterday morning to attend a reception in Austin. Decided to take 183 and make a few Q stops along the way. First stop was in Lulling where we ran into a large statue of one of Leroy's friends
IMG_7402800x600.jpg

And across the street the water tower is ready for the watermelon festival next week - need to practice up on seed spitting.
IMG_7404800x600.jpg

Picked up a box of 25 links at City market in Lulling and then drove to Lockhart where we picked up another 25 links at Smitty's. Staying in Lockhart, we picked up a couple go plates at Black's (had the dogs in the car and too hot to leave them in the truck).

Blacks brisket (went for the moist) was amazing and the spares were pretty good.

Did a side by side comparison with the City Market, Smitty's and Black's beef sausage (had one link of Black's).
IMG_7421800x600.jpg

Some haba beans and grits on the side
IMG_7430800x600.jpg

Smitty's was the best but my bride and I have decided we would rather save room for brisket and ribs next time we are on the road.

Have a bunch of visitors this summer and will do some more blind test and send them home with some.

24 2 link packs
IMG_7425800x600.jpg

Comments

• Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    Frank, looks like you had a good trip to Austin. Let me give it a guess on the sausage plate picture. Is it Smitty’s, Lulling and Blacks left to right? Another interesting thing about Lulling brisket is they don’t slice it across the grain, they just slice it however it is lying on the block. Still very tender and moist and love their sauce.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Dang Efrin - You're good. Got it just right.

Forgot to add that there was a pretty good wait at each stop - all popular joints. So I soaked up a bunch of smoke, especially at Smitty's where you stand right next to the sticks.

When checking into the hotel, the clerk looked around and then asked "have you been to a BBQ joint"? Said "No, was in three" :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    We stop in Lulling a lot. It is by far our favorite between the 2 towns. Don’t you just love the cash only there? The place hasn’t changed in years just keeps adding character.
    Zefrin
    Willis Tx.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    We try and stop somewhere in Lockhart every time we go to the ranch, either on the way there if we leave Dallas early enough, or on the way back. Haven't stopped in Luling, but we need to. Maybe next time.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• woody's wood pit
    Options
    Frank, all your posts just kill me...i am looking forward to picking your brain on all the cooking techniques over the 4th.....

do have a question for you...we did some great ribeye steaks last night and the bride commented that they taste great but have the flavor of being baked...am i doing something wrong...

seared on both sides for four minutes at 600 then cut off air and cooked to 145 internal and pulled...

never had anyone say a steak tasted like it was baked before!!?!

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Woody,

I follow pretty much the same process but I sear for 90 seconds/side close to the lump then roast. We pull at 120-122 and then let them rest under foil about ten minutes. 145 is more like medium well.

But my go to method these days is hot tubbing.

Put the steaks in a ziplock or vacuum pack, then submerse in hot water from your tap for 1 hour. Change the water every 15 minutes to keep it hot. The hot water from your tap will be about 107-112. Now the steak is around 107-112 through the thickness. Just some salt and on to the grill to sear both sides for 90 seconds per side will normally do us but can roast a little longer if you don't want medium rare.