Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baked potatoes?

Options
Adrian B.
Adrian B. Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've looked in the archives but I'm having trouble looking for tips on egg'ed baked potatoes. [p]I've noticed that some people use a microwave to get the ball rolling, then finish on the grill. I'm going to be doing a spatchcocked chicken tonight and I'd like to keep from heating up my kitchen. [p]What is the best way to do the bakers? I've never nuked taters before and I'm leery of it. Also, when you throw them on the grill, do you wrap them in foil first or just up on the grate? [p]TIA :~)[p]Adrian

Comments

• vr6Cop,
    I would say you put them on the egg at the same temp as the chicken and take them off about the same amount of time you would do them in the oven.[p]Jerry

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    vr6Cop,
    No pics, but I do twice baked potatoes a lot.[p]2 nice size bakers, cook on egg until done. I wrap in foil with olive oil and kosher salt covered.[p]Split in half and pull out all the taters from the skin.
    Put in a bowl with miracle whip to taste. I egg. Shredded cheese as you please and fried bacon, bacon bits will work also.[p]Stuff the skin and cook direct until well heated.[p]Might be to late but give it a try sometime. You will end up with 4 taters that are really nice sized.[p]Mike

• Mr Eggcitement
    Options
    vr6Cop,
    I wrap mine if foil and then place them on the grate. You probably want to cook them for at least an hour depending on the temp you are using for the chicken.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    vr6Cop,
    When I bake potatoes on the Egg, here's what I do. I usually have fairly large potatoes, so you might scale this down if you are using puny little things. I coat them with vegetable oil liberally. I sprinkle on some kosher salt and black pepper. I then do them in my small Egg, either on the 12" inch pizza stone or the ceramic deep dish pizza stone. I cook them at about 400 degrees for an hour and a quarter to an hour and a half. The skin will come out pretty crisp. [p]<Soapbox> My dear departed Dad would tell you that you can't bake a potato in foil. I tend to agree with him. I prefer no foil. Besides, my Dad was right about everything else.... LOL</Soapbox>[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • vr6Cop,
    Lotta good ideas here. Kick it up a notch and use some garlic infused oil with the salt and pepper. If ya had more time, I'd suggest dropping them in a light brine for half a day or so. The added moisture of the brine buys some extra temp leeway and helps keep the potato skin from burning.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    IMG_0186.jpg
    <p />vr6Cop,
    I use a simple old method my grandmother did decades ago that gets your tators cooked all the way through whether use leave them nekked or wrap in foil. These appear to be common nails 3.5" long but they are actually made of aluminum and are made solely for this purpose. I run two in each tator from both ends and leave about 1/2 inch exposed. They get hot, but cook evenly. They come on a card of 6 or eight nails and are cheap.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    vr6Cop:[p]I like to brush them with olive oil, season with a spicy rub, and place them on the exterior edges of the cooking grid so they are not over the hot spot. I let them cook for one hour to one and a half hours depending upon how harge they are. No like spicy? Any favorite rub will do; Lawry's Seasoning Salt is good too.[p]
    The center of the grill works great for chicken while the potatoes are cooking.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    I forgot to add that the cooker should be preheated and the temperature should be in the range of 350º.

• vr6Cop,for a great baked potato.you must get the moisture out. cook it at 400 for an hour...take it off the heat...open it and place it back on the heat for 10 minutes...also u can try pealing the potaoto..rubbing it with oil and cook as above for a crisp outside

• vr6Cop,[p]Large bakers...pierce with a fork all around then rub with olive oil, kosher salt and lots of minced garlic. Pre-heat to abotu 500-600 with a couple of paver bricks on the grill -- paver bricks are kilned at high temps so they do not break in the egg. Once pre-heated, put some foil on the bricks and put the potatoes on the foil, not wrapped in foil. About an hour later, you will have the best baked potatoes you ever had.