Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for travel food.

Scottborasjr
Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys and gals, going on a family vacation next month and need a few ideas for stuff that freezes well to reheat while in a condo setting. Already thinking pulled pork and pork loins, anyone have any other thoughts? Could be something that needs to just be refrigerated too, only going about 5 hours away.
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• garcia77
    garcia77 Posts: 26
    We like to take flank steak sliced thin for salads and snacking on the beach can't really freeze it but cold for a few days after cooking works for us.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I precook briskets all the time and reheat with au jus
  • Scottborasjr
    Any chance you have a recipe? Never done anything with flank steaks. ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Do you slice it before packaging it or leave it whole Pat? I'm assuming you slice it.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Yes I'll slice then freeze it. Reheats great in the au jus
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    lasagna!!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• garcia77
    garcia77 Posts: 26
    Depends what we have around the house before going out of town. There's always a jug of Yohsida's in our garage fridge can use that for a marinade overnight or get more involved I've been using a taco-type recipe from allrecipes which the kids really like by itself or on tortillas, salad, etc. I do leave them whole and slice as we need, the slices would probably dry out.
  • Scottborasjr
    do you egg that, or a standard? I know I can make a pasta dish and freeze it without baking, but I am trying to make some egg converts here. If I had the funds I'd buy a small to take on the trip but that won't be til next year.
  • Scottborasjr
    Thanks Tim, will research a little more and probably give it a try.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Deli Ham for sandwiches, omlets and what ever else may tickle your fancy.

hamdelicut.jpg

GG
  • Scottborasjr
    Thanks for the option GG, but my Mother-in-Law makes a candied ham that is to die for, so if we take ham that's the route I'm going. ;)
  • Ribs... I just vacuum seal them. All you have to do is warm them up. Pulled pork is our other main stay. Ooh and a fatty cooked and then frozen should last a long time. I think I will have to try that. Fatty gravy and biscuits. :)
  • I don't know where you are going but it sure would be nice if the National parks would get rid of the fire boxes and replace them with some Eggs.
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    i like ABT"S rr