Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Question

myselftokeep
myselftokeep Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Making pulled pork tonight. Have the ceramic top on and the bottom vent open just a sliver. Why can't I come down off 300?

Comments

• myselftokeep,
    cause you probably heated up the ceramics so much its gonna take a while to get there. . ..what temp did you heat up to to start with when you fired up?? . .. [p]or, have you calibrated your thermometer lately? . .. sure its really 300? . ..[p]if you have the thing tightened down, go ahead and stick your butts in.. .the temps will come down. .just make sure you don't snuff your fire and suddenly find you are really down to 150. ..[p]HTH

• Adrian B.
    Adrian B. Posts: 124
    myselftokeep, when you say "the ceramic top on" do you mean that the top is completely closed? Or it is laying on there ****-eyed with a gap for smoke to escape?[p]Otherwise, it'll take about 30 minutes to an hour or so to come down to the 220-245 temp you want.

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    I took it up to about 500 so I was sure to get a good fire that wouldn't snuff out. Should I take it to a lower temp or leave the top open on start up?

• myselftokeep,
    ok, that explains why its taking so long to get below 300. .you really warmed up the walls of your egg, and its gonna take a while to get temps down where you want them. ..[p]most people recommend sneaking up on your target temp. .. couple of ways to do it... [p]1. when i'm doing a low and slo, i light my lump in one spot near the back of the egg with my mapp torch.. get a really nice little hot spot burning, close the top with the vents open, and as the temps get near 200, i start closing them down till the bottom vent is the width of a credit card, and i just make adjustments with the daisy wheel. ...[p]2. the other way i've heard of folks doing it is to light you lump, then keep the dome open while the fire gets established, then close the dome and vents down, so that the ceramics haven't heated up too much... [p]

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks. Hopefully we will have a great lunch tomorrow.

• myselftokeep,
    you should really be ok. ..even though the dome temp is sitting at 300 your grid temp is probably only around 275, and you are probably aiming for a dome temp in the 225 - 250 range, so you aren't in too bad of shape. ...just make sure you haven't closed things down so much that the fire goes out. . .let a little air in there. . ..

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    myselftokeep, If you have a daisey wheel top, I would be using it instead of the ceramic hat.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    myselftokeep,
    You have already gotten some good advice from Mad Max. Here's my web page on the subject if you are interested:[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Page On Temperature Control[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz