Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Horrible Brisket

crunkcrunk Posts: 94
edited 7:43AM in EggHead Forum
Ok, so I tried my first Brisket this weekend and it was absolutely the dryest piece of meat I have ever cooked. Good thing i cooked a butt along side it or I wouldnt have had anything to serve our guests.

Could anyone tell me where I went wrong?

I applied my rub on Friday then sat it in the fridge until Saturday night when i brought it back out and did another small layer of rub. Let it rest on the counter for approx 45 minutes while i fired my egg up. Cooked indirect overnight at 250-275 until internal was around 180-185 (which equaled about 11 hours of cook time).

Took it off and rested in cooler for 1 hour. I cut into it and it was absolutely horrible!!

Did I cook it too long?

Crunk
·

Comments

• KailasKailas Posts: 146
    I don't know.. I cooked one this weekend too. I cooked it at 215 degrees overnight, and then upped it to 225. Took 15 hours and was the juiciest thing ever.

Could be the brisket you bought. Make sure it is well marbled..
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,276
    Might have been undercooked.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,724
    crunk wrote:
    internal was around 180-185 (which equaled about 11 hours of cook time).
    Crunk

You need to get the internal temp of the brisket closer to 195-205.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • KailasKailas Posts: 146
    I pulled mine out at 185 and wrapped it in foil and towels and stuck it in a cooler for 4 hours.
    ·
  • asianflavaasianflava Posts: 313
    ChokeOnSmoke wrote:
    crunk wrote:
    internal was around 180-185 (which equaled about 11 hours of cook time).
    Crunk

You need to get the internal temp of the brisket closer to 195-205.

Agreed, the collagen doesn't break down till around 190.
    ·
  • crunkcrunk Posts: 94
    Thanks guys....live and learn i guess...Ill leave that sucker on there longer next time!!

Crunk
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,416
    Don't feel bad. I don't do brisket often, and I can't say I've had much success. As above, try for a higher temperature, but do note that there is a lot less moisture in brisket than butt. Once cut, the slices dry out pretty fast. Also, make sure there is at least 1/4" of fat cap. If there is too much fat left at the end of the cook, that can just be cut away. Lots of people use the "Texas crutch," a foil pouch, to help with moisture retention. Also, brisket has both collagen and elastin. The elastin does not break down from cooking. Some folks use a Jaccard tenderizer on brisket before cooking.
    ·
  • Follow this for good results

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

I take it out of the fridge, rub, and put it one the egg. If your rub had salt in it, it may have affected the taste/texture. Rubbing a butt the night before with salt in it will result in more of a "hammy" taste which is okay if that is what you want. Pull around 195 or so but check it with a temp probe - should go in like butta.

Wonder if you can still turn the leftover brisket into "burnt ends"?

Another good brisket rambling (but don't tell him I said so" B)

http://www.bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php

Good luck with it.
    ·
  • crunkcrunk Posts: 94
    Good idea for the leftover Frank...I may have to try that!
    ·
  • howmeisterghowmeisterg Posts: 143
    I have also found that using rubs high in salt tends make my brisket drier than those without a lot of salt. Just my two cents.
    ·
  • ParcallParcall Posts: 40
    Here is an interesting article that describes what happens to meat at various temps.
    ·