Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wine Question

BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok i do not like to drink wine. everytime i hear a chef on tv tell me to use a wine i would drink i think welches. so i have a hard time buying wine. i know i am not the only person who has this problem. i love using wine when doing onions. but i have rarely thought to but wine while at the store. i have bought "cooking wine" it is next to the olive oil so i think there is something missing.

i have been through keeping a bottle with the cork shoved back in it. i even bought some of those rubber corks that you vacume out the air. they never seemed to work right.

my newest way around keeping a bottle of wine around is THIS. it seemed to work pretty well for me. i was wondering what some of the rest of you do. i mean i am not the only one who does not drink wine.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Yea, the 'shorties' are convenient when you need a small amount for a recipe. When white wine is an ingredient, I most often use dry vermouth, a bottle of which I keep in the fridge. Works fine and lasts a long time..
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Cooking wine is loaded with salt (and other stuff) to keep it from going bad sitting on the shelf for a long time after it's been open. Food coloring too. It tastes like s**t, and should never come into proximity with actual food.

Its a much better idea to go with the 4-pack you showed as your cooking wine. Don't have to worry about wasting a big bottle that you'll never drink.

__Jason
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Terry,

I keep a 250 ml four pack of this, chardonnay and cab sauvignon for cooking. Refrigerate what is left over.

http://www.frenchrabbit.com/wines-french-rabbit.html

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Sorry man, my wife was in "the biz" for years and turned me into a rabid wine drinker. There really is no good way around a bottle going south within a couple days after you open it - outside of very expensive units used in restaurants for the 'good stuff' they serve by the glass.

Your solution looks as good as any...but the "cork dork" I married would never allow that stuff in my house. ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    works for me but there seems to be a bottle open at camp year round, seems someones always drinking some, i dont unless its port, port lasts for months in the fridge, lasts a good month just sitting on the counter. use it to poach pears if you dont have a recipe your working on and want to move it. i use it pretty much with anything that calls for sherry. good tawny ports are good for those that dont appreciate wine, i dont even consider it wine :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I do drink wine, probably more than I should, but it dosen't put on the pounds like beer or addle my already confused brain cells as much as bourbon, so my solution is the cheap stuff that comes in a box. 5 liters for $12.00 or so, many flavors available, keeps forever :laugh: :P :blush: :cheer:
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Yeah, I buy singles of that size, 4 - 6 varieties so I can mess around. But I can never remember, "Now, is the Cabernet dry or not?"
  • Little Steven
    guzzijason wrote:
    Cooking wine is loaded with salt (and other stuff) to keep it from going bad sitting on the shelf for a long time after it's been open. Food coloring too. It tastes like s**t, and should never come into proximity with actual food.

Couldn't agree more.

Steve :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BENTE
    i dont think i have ever had vermouth. unless it was in some sort of martini. but i will have to look into that.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    i knew there was something i didn't like about it :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    wow steve! that is some interesting looking stuff. made my eyebrows raise when i read "it has less packaging than a egg" i will look for that stuff when i go to the store next time.. and then again it may be a canadian thing :whistle: but i will look for it ;)

thanks

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    cork dork.... first time i have ever even heard that one. see i am sooo far out of the wine loop :pinch:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    port never thought of that i have abuddy of mine that made a honey strawberry port one time it was awesome. i could not drink it for recreation but it sounds like a worth while suggestion. do they sell ports in the wine sections of store?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    i am cramped on fridge space. if i had the old fridge in the garage that would be a solution. that is proabably what i would have used but the garage fridge died 2 years ago so all of my projects (like brining a turkey, and making bacon) went with it :angry:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    well there is a question i have never asked myself. probably because i could not answer it if i was drinking it :ohmy:

i am thinking maybe a bigger wine store may have a mix and match thing like they do with beer

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    I am with you Bente, I don't like wine.

I have friends that do, and I have been to Napa so i have tried a lot of it. I have found that the more expensive the wine is, the more I HATE it. Honestly, I don't know how people drink expensive Red wines, they are just plain gross :sick:. If its under $15, its drinkable.

I also don't drink coffee and i have been told that they are related.

I like the idea of keeping those single serves around, Ill have to add that to my list.
  • BENTE
    yea i dont do coffee either. i did not know they were related but sounds good to me :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Bente, we have the French Rabbit stuff here. I think I have even seen it at Target. The boxed stuff keeps at least 30 days after opening. Just cook alot in that 1 month!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Little Steven
    Faith,

The ones I'm talking about are 250 ml. About one cup each, four to a package. Don't know if you can get them there. I keep them in the pantry so my wife doesn't see them :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BENTE
    target very interesting i will look there next time i go. thanks faith

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    well something even harder to find thanks steve :P

:laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• fishlessman
    yes they have them at the wine store ;) the supermarket wine section wont have these three but should have something descent to cook with. if you havent had a tawney style port, get the sandeman 20 to the right, a sifter style glass, and a good cigar B) the beauty of these is you drink them at room temp, only a small amount in a sifter, and you store it next to your favorite chair

DSC_0159-1.jpg

DSC_0161-1-1.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• BENTE
    i dont think there is ever a need for me to keep it that close to me.... i mean jim beam would get jealous :laugh:

thanks

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• fishlessman
    heres back when i was testing the different tawneys :laugh: the big bottle of shefield is the one to cook with according to my research :whistle: i tasted a ginger brandy this past weekend for the first time, more research is needed :woohoo: glad im done researching light beers in a can :ermm:

DSC_0182-1.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Mad Dog 2020 is what I remember as a kid. :ermm:

MD 2020 Wow I just goggled it and I remember one flavor.
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    i concour.... using expensive wine for cooking is a sin.... the bagin box wines are fine.... refill a couple of good bottles of wine for when wine snob pals stop by.... they never know the difference.... unless they are super sophisticated....( i have no friends of that caliber).... most are bikers..... lol
  • BENTE
    when i got old enough to go in and buy it myself my tasts changed and i quit buying that crap :sick:

tell cindy hi

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Eggscaper
    Eggscaper Posts: 213
    Cooking wine is too acidic for most recipes. As a wine fan...I can tell you the brand Redwood Creek is pretty much a good standard, inexpensive wine to use in cooking. Depending on the type of wine your recipe calls for (chardonnay, zinfandel, Merlot, pinot noir, etc) Redwood Creek is a good "go to" brand.

Doug
    Dallas,Ga
  • BENTE
    thanks i usually cut the wine with a little sugar when i use it.. i know proabably not supposed to do that but it works for me B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Eggscaper
    Eggscaper Posts: 213
    If you like a sweet wine, try using a dessert wine - they are typically much sweeter - for example, a Reisling or a Port.

Doug
    Dallas, GA