Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Copy cat spatchcock cook by Emeril Lagasse

Options
2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I seen this cook on a gasser by Emeril Lagasse and ABC news the other morning so, I decided to try it on my large.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=13854761&nwltr=GMAR_featureChef_pos1

I took 3 2.4 pound fryers and cut the backs out and took the keel out and cut them in half. I made the marinade and let them soak for four hours.

I planed on baking four large baking potatoes and my guests were bringing a green bean casserole and we had a strawberry cheese cake out of a box for desert.

About 1.5 hours before the cook I lit the egg and stabilized at 400F.

30 min's before the cook I put the extra large baking potatoes in the egg on the adjustable rig (AR) on a broken pampered chef (PC) on the left side of the grid. Not on top but, the level below the top. I also, put three foil wrapped fire bricks on the grid.

30 min's into the direct 400F cook I took out the hot foil wrapped fire brick and laid the six half chickens skin side down next to the baking potatoes and placed the hot fire brick on the chickens and closed the dome.

001.jpg

Now what follows is where I messed up. I left the chicken on to long. :blush: I had company and was running my mouth and 45 min's into the cook I checked the temp of the chickens in the leg quarters what was sticking out from under the hot bricks anyway. The temp was at 200F internal so I took them off.

002.jpg

They look good and the potatoes were done nice and fluffy...but, the chicken was pressed where the breast meat is and dry but the dark meat was great. One more thing and it could have been me but, I don't think the chick halves benefited from the marinade. If this is going to be a worth while cook I'm going to have to work on it. My thinking is leave the bricks out and maybe a low sodium flavor brine. Like I have done in the past over and over...sorry Faith I tried. :ermm:

The food was good and we ate it all. It's just that I made them more better and juicer. :) :laugh:

003.jpg

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Every chef is their own worst critic. I bet the meal was a total success for your guests! The photos look great. Thanks for sharing!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thanks Scott. Yeah the breasts were dry but, like you say they were good. Just a lot of trouble heating bricks...I will probably continue with my usual grilling method unless I get a brain fart and make this technique work better. :) Thanks again. ;)
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Well, at least you tried something different. Those were pretty small chickens, maybe try the bricks on a bigger one next time? A roaster 4-5 lbs each is what I usually spatchcock.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Your right Faith I did try something different and I did enjoy trying it. Maybe I'll give it another try. I may take my jacquard to the breast so it gets the marinade. I know the heated bricks did cook from the other side making the cook shorter.

Have a great work week. :)
  • wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    Options
    Tim,
    I think they look great! I have found that smaller chickens will dry out faster and don't yield that much meat. I try to buy 4-5 lb birds so there is always leftovers for the next day or chicken salad.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Cool Eggsperiment B)
    Have seen several recipes for the brick pressed chickens and was nice to have your eggsperience to balance :)
    If you had pulled earlier, how long do you think it would have taken to reach desired temp with the smaller birds? I like the idea of the smaller birds, btw B)
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    smbishop wrote:
    Every chef is their own worst critic. I bet the meal was a total success for your guests! The photos look great. Thanks for sharing!

+1
    context is important :)
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Always gotta try new stuff
    Nice job Tim :)

Shane
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hey Richard. Thanks this cook gives me a lot to think about. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Desert Oasis Woman wrote:
    Cool Eggsperiment B)
    Have seen several recipes for the brick pressed chickens and was nice to have your eggsperience to balance :)
    If you had pulled earlier, how long do you think it would have taken to reach desired temp with the smaller birds? I like the idea of the smaller birds, btw B)

Hey Dow. :) I love the smaller chicks for several reasons.

This cook went 45 min. I did have a timer going even though I cook to temp. I would check it at least 15 min's sooner. Trial and error may be the answer. Maybe not so hot and maybe change where the chicken is cooked in the egg. Before my cook I placed the cold bricks on the extended grid but I could not close the dome that is why I grilled down lower.

I grilled down one setting from the top on the AR and went 400F direct. I normally grill 400F direct on the extended grid. Good luck if you try it. Tim :)

I normally grill chicken like in this pic at 400F direct.
    000_2540.jpg

000_1875.jpg
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thanks Shane. I called some friends and told them I am trying a new technique in grill chicken and they were going to be the guinea pigs. :laugh:
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    yum yum
    a must try
    great job!!!
    congrats