Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket - Lost heat in the middle of the night

Options
Aaron_Toronto
Aaron_Toronto Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to bed at 1am and briskte was 150, egg was 230. Woke up at 5am and brisket was 140 and egg was 115. I got fire started back up and it's moving in the right direction. Now at 930 brisket is 180 and egg is 250.
Am i OK?
BTW this forum is amazing, i have been reading thousands of posts since i got my egg in early May and they have all been informative. I am glad to be part of this fun/kind community

Comments

• NCLT1Vette
    Options
    Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago.
    I dont think my fire was out very long, I was able to get it going by simply opening the vents all they way.

Mine turned out ok but, I ended up going for 26 hours.

I'm guessing that I didn't pack the charcoal tight enough and had too many smaller pieces.

I'm seriously considering the BBQ Guru Temp Control Package
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Your fine, brisket temp was good
  • Aaron_Toronto
    Options
    I figured FlaPoolman thanks for the re-assurance, my buddy is a chef and i didnt want to wake him up this early in the AM
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    You might want to consider getting a remote thermometer. I use the Maverick ET73 which has a newer version now called the ET732. It has 2 probes - one for the meat and the other for the grill temp.

You can set an alarm to go off if the temp falls too far, but I don't bother with that. I just put it next to my bed and check it a few times during the night.

You might also consider aiming for a temp of 250 dome. Many people have problems when trying to maintain 225. The food will also cook quicker at 250.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    How'd it come out, Aaron?
    The same thing happened to me on my first brisket. I learned about the "funnel" effect afterwards and can keep the fire going all night now. My first brisket ended up in the egg 21 hours, but it was great

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Aaron_Toronto
    Options
    I got the egg remote thermoter as part of the package from the store, and it is clearly the most confusing thing on earth and whatever way i set it up it didnt go off when the temp dropped. I am taking it back there tomorrow for a lesson.

It actually turned out both amazing and had issues
    1) flavor amazing, that to me is the most important. It was a 15 lbs full brisket and the 9 people at dinner gobbled it down
    2) texture was really good wehn i sliced it, but deterioated because it may have been a little over done. Part of the flat fell apart and i ended up chopping the leftovers for sandwiches tomorrow
    3) no smoke ring - my fault and i know what i did wrong and will fix it next time

Total cook was 17 hours. Finished at 130, wrapped and snuffed egg and left it on until 4pm resting, then rested in cooler for another 2 hours until i sliced it.

All in all it was fun, hectic, hard and stressful, but it was a GREAT experience!

Thanks for all your help!